HAVE A FUN WITH GUIDE-COMMITTEE IF YOU DON'T KNOW CITY!
Price from 25 $/hour
Parks with view on the r.Dnipro
Clicking on the lens, you can see the photo and the description of the route elements. Pechersk is the historical part of the city, it has been known since the times of Kievan Rus. The area acquired its name because of the many natural caves that had been formed here. Askold’s grave, where two brothers Askold and Dir were killed, may be called one of the most ancient place, which is mentioned in the annals. They sailed to Kiev with their retinue and began to rule here in the second half of the Xth century. But taking advantage of the cunning, Oleg (the guardian of Prince Igor) disguised as a merchant, lured the two brothers and killed them. Anthony, the Monk, established the first prayer communities in the XI century. Then the Pechersk Monastery was founded, which became the greatest Orthodox shrine. Pechersk settlement has been established near the monastery since the XIIth century. Soon it became the Caves town, known as the Pechersky district today.
After the construction of the Kiev fortress in the XVIIIth century, Pechersk becomes the military-administrative center of the capital. There was a fortress from the Hospital fortification, Vasilkovsky, Zverinets (there is the Botanical Garden now), the Lysogorsky Fort on Bald Mountain (today it is a park belonging to the fortress museum). The entrance to the Kiev fortress consisted of the following three gates: Moscow, Kiev and Vasilkovsky. The new Pechersk fortress was laid on the basis of Citadel and Zverinetsky fortification during the reign of Nicholas I. Kiev became the most fortified major city of the empire. The hospital fortification, which survived until present day, became one of the main. There is a military hospital in its territory. There is the museum “Kiev Fortress” in the oblique caponier, located outside the main shaft of the Hospital fortification. There is the Nikolsky Gates (I. Mazepa Str., 1) with a lifting bridge (subsequently laid) in the building of the barracks between the Pechersky and the Limes. There are the Armory workshops, being a part of the fortifications and locted on the opposite site. Subsequently, there was the Arsenal plant, which manufactured artillery armament, and then there were the optical and electronic guidance systems here. The round tower (Konovalets Str., 44) was a part of the Vasilkovsky fortification complex. Other structures, as well as fragments of shafts, have been preserved. Today there is the restaurant “Tsarskoe Selo” in the old gunpowder cellar of one of the bastions of the fortress (Alekseevsky bastion). There were previously gendarmerie barracks of the Arsenal fortification in the building where the “Shooters” club stands now. Klovsky Tower was built at the highest point of the city of Klovska mountain as an object of the New Pechersk fortress in the middle of the XIXth century. The tower No. 5 was a part of the complex defensive structures in Kiev to protect the northern part from the cliff of the Pecherskaya Upland and it created a serf front from the Klovsky Yar. The Green Theater is a fortification of the XIXth century, which served as the protection of the Nikolayev chain bridge and water pump on the banks of the Dnieper.
Pechersk is also rich in very ancient and significant monasteries: the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra, the Vvedensky Monastery, the Vydubytsky Monastery, the Zverinets Caves and Archangel Mykhail Monastery and the Holy Trinity and Ven. Jonah’s Monastery.
Pechersk had already been the most prestigious district of Kiev t the turn of the XIX–XXth centuries. Today there are ministries and various governmental institutions, elite modern buildings, as well as historical monuments of architecture: the Mariinsky Palace, Motherland, former mansions of notable people, museums, etc.
X Omelyanovicha-Pavlenko Str. originated in the early XIXth century and it was called Esplanadna, located nearby esplanade of the New Pechersk Fortress. The border of the esplanade of the citadel of the Pechersk Fortress passed just along the street. Since 2016 it has became Omelyanovicha-Pavlenko in honor of the lieutenant-general of the army of the UPR. There used to be a racetrack on the street, on the odd side. Later the racetrack was turned into an airfield, and then the racetrack began to serve as a factory airfield.
X The Park of Eternal Glory was founded as a garden in 1894 on the initiative of Anosov, the commandant of the Kiev fortress Lieutenant-General of Artillery and it was called Anosovsky (Commandant’s) garden. In 1919, it was ordered to make a cemetery of “victims of counter-revolution” on the spot of the garden. In 1956, it was decided to recreate the park in this place. The Eternal Glory Memorial was built at a height of 27 m, the Alley of Heroes was laid, where 35 soldiers were buried. The Eternal Flame burns at the foot of the obelisk. Every year on May 9 thousands of people come here to honor the memory of the heroes of the war. There is a museum of the Holodomor, a monument on the grave of the Unknown Soldier in the park. A magnificent view of the Dnieper and the left bank of the capital are also represented here, because newlyweds like to come here to make a wedding photo session
X The building of the former hippodrome is the building No. 9 located on Omelyanovicha-Pavlenko Str. It was built in the Baroque style, decorated with a compelling sculpture and sculptures of young men holding fanfares. There are images of flying eagles, as well as octagonal towers with spiers on the side gables of the house. Earlier the racecourse was considered one of the best entertainment places in Kiev. Later the racetrack was turned into an airfield, and then the racetrack began to serve as a factory airfield. In 1960, the racetrack stopped its work. Now the National Academy of Agrarian Sciences is located here.
X Moskovskaya Str. comes from 1706, it acquired its name because of its location next to the Moscow garrison, which was located in the Pechersk Citadel. The road leading to the Dnieper crossing to Moscow, became known as the Moscow Str. It had been considered the central street where military parades were conducted and city dwellers walked by the 1930s. There are workshops of the famous plant “Arsenal” – the largest artillery factory of the Russian Empire on the Moskovskaya Str., 2. P. Nesterov, the famous pilot lived in the house No. 5 in 1914. The tower No. 6 (built in 1846–1851) was preserved on Moscow Str., 8. This tower is a part of the fortress of the Pechersk fortress that has been preserved. There were previously gendarmerie barracks (1844–1847 built buildings) of the Arsenal fortification in the building No. 22. The “Shooters” club is represented here now. The Vvedensky community was established on the street in the late 1870’s. The barracks of the military cantonists have also survived – the Moscowskaya Str., 45.
X The Plant “Arsenal” is a historical and architectural monument, it is located on the former territory of the Old Pechersk fortress on Lavrskaya Str., 12–14. Initially, there was the Ascension Convent on this place. The monastery was closed in 1712, and buildings began to be used as an artillery zeyhgauz on its territory. In 1784, a cannon yard was opened here, where the guns, artillery equipment and so on were repaired and manufactured. The erection of the Arsenal building was begun in 1784. Arsenal was to become one of the largest in Russia. The walls of the Arsenal are up to 2 m thick. The arms were repaired and manufactured, including artillery at the plant in the XVIII–XIX centuries. Arsenal was also used as an armory. The plant has existed by 2009 and it was closed because of bankruptcy. The museum complex “Mystetsky Arsenal” operates in the historical building of the Arsenal now. The museum was founded in 2006 on the initiative of V. Yushchenko.
X Kindergarten No. 1 “Eaglet” of the plant “Arsenal” is a monument of architecture and town planning, built in the 1930s. (Askoldov Lane, 5). In 1937, an individual project for the establishment of a kindergarten was created on the orders of the management of the Arsenal plant, for the first time in the history of the Soviet Union. In 1940, the building began to operate as a kindergarten. The building is historically the first kindergarten in the city of Kiev and it was built exactly as a palace for children. The building is located in a picturesque place on the green slopes of the Dnieper and a noble manor or an ancient temple is represented in its style. The uniqueness of the building is the following: the building is built in harmonious forms of Greek antiquity and there is a colorful spectacle from the side of the Dnieper – the building is erected on a protruding cape. Kindergarten was a participant in VDNH USSR more than five times, newspapers and magazines wrote about it. The kindergarten “Orlyonok” has been included in the complex of the Borys Grinchenko Kyiv Pedagogical University since 2001. Now there is still a kindergarten in the building.
X Vvedensky Monastery was founded in the late 1870’s as the Vvedenskaya female’s community. The community has received the status of a monastery since 1901. A parish school for girls was opened at the monastery. It has been opened as the Vvedensky Monastery since 1992. The monastery acquired great fame thanks to the ancient icon of the Mother of God (supposedly 1420). In 1993, an unusual phenomenon occurred – the silhouette of Our Lady with the Child was imprinted on the glass of the icon. It is noteworthy that it could not have been a print, since the glass did not fit close to the image, but it was represented at a distance from the icon. Nevertheless, there was a lack of confidence in this phenomenon. Specialists and scientists came to investigate the display, took scrapings of plaque on the glass. The icon of the Mother of God was recognized as miraculous in 1995. Since then, hundreds of pilgrims every come in the monastery to bow before the icon and ask for health. There were the cases of healing.
X Klovski descent begins to be rebuild in the early XIXth century and it takes its name from the Klov and Klovski Stream, mentioned in the chronicles, which flowed in its valley. This word had the following meaning – moisture, water – in the Old Slavonic language. The bridge of the Klovskiy descent passes exactly above the Klovskiy stream, flowing on the pipes under the ground laid for it. The Klovski Lane had been located next to the descent by the 1970s. The descent is notable for the fact that it houses the tallest building not only in the capital, but also in Ukraine – this is a 49-storey residential building under No. 7a (more than 160 m in height). There is a toy museum on the Klovskoye descent, 8, where about 15 thousand exhibits are represented. The collection has been collected since the 1930s. Exclusive author’s works are represented there.
X Lesia Ukrainka Boulevard is one of the main transport arteries of Pechersk, it was named after the Ukrainian poetess. The boulevard was founded in the 1950s and it was called Pechersky Boulevard. It was renamed into Lesia Ukrainka Boulevard in 1961. It was she for whom a monument was established on Lesia Ukrainka Square, at the intersection of the boulevard with Kutuzova Str. There is the Suvorov Military School on the boulevard, where there are the memorial plaques of N.F. Vatutin and I.V. Panfilov on its facade and there is a monument to Suvorov in front of its building. There is also a part of the fortifications of the New Pechersk Fortress – the Round Tower and the remains of protective shafts on the boulevard.
X The building of the Central Election Commission is a majestic construction of Soviet construction located on Lesya Ukrainka Square, 1 that is the last administrative building of regional organizations in the USSR (1977–1983). The building is located on a large area, lined with Almin limestone, it dominates the square.
X I. Bogun Kiev Military Lyceum is the former Suvorov military school, located along the Lesya Ukrainka boulevard, 25. It has been located in the building of the former M.V. Frunze 2nd Kiev Red Banner School of Self-Propelled Artillery since 1947. The building was built in 1915 in the style of neoclassicism for the Kiev Alekseevsky Engineering Military School, which was liquidated in 1917. Nikolai Bulgakov, the writer’s brother was the Junker of this school. He served as the prototype of Nikolka from the story of the White Guard. The building is a monument of architecture, it is under state protection.
X Grishko Botanical Garden has been founded since 1935 on the initiative of V.I. Lipsky, a famous florist and scientist. A plot of 117 hectares land was allocated on Zverinets. The difficulties of building a garden were insufficient funding, and two-thirds of the territory was private property. About 1050 species of plants and 1000 taxons of greenhouse crops were managed to collect under the open sky by the beginning of the 1940s. The Botanical Garden has been opened for visitors since 1964. Not only scientists-botanists and breeders come here, but also Kyivans, as well as visitors to the city. The botany lessons are taught here for students. M. Grishko Botanical Garden (world famous scientist-botanist) is a part of the natural reserve fund of Ukraine, it is a monument of natural and historical and cultural significance that is one of the leading gardens in Europe. The Botanical Card is a type of lilac with an area of 2.45 hectares, thousands of visitors come to admire it every spring.
X Vydubytsky Monastery is located in the Vydubytsky tract, on a hill above the Dnieper. According to the legend, the pagan idol of Perun, thrown into the Dnieper by Prince Vladimir, was “poured out” on the shore. The origin of the name came after underground monastery, which later “poured out” on the surface. Vydubytsky Monastery was founded in the XIth century by Vsevolod Yaroslavich, the Son of Yaroslav the Wise, the Prince. The main temple of the monastery was laid in 1070, which was partially preserved to the present day. In 1696 -1701 years. St. George’s Cathedral was built in the monastery, where the relics of St. George, Barbara the Great Martyr, John, etc. are represented. Today there is a shelter for elderly clergy, a school for children from low-income families, workshops, a school of church singing and a clinic in the monastery. Previously, there was a cemetery on the territory of the monastery. 13 graves have been preserved until now. There is a well on the territory there, in which one can get healing water.
X Zverinets Caves and Archangel Mykhail Monastery is an ancient Russian abode, it was presumably founded in the XI–XIIth centuries on the territory of the Zverinets that were the hunting grounds of Vsevolod the Kiev prince. It was destroyed in 1096–1097 by the Polovtsi. The caves of the monastery were found at the end of XIXth century. The monastery was partially rebuilt in 1913. A cave church and a small cell were found not far from the entrance to the caves, an underground corridor with 40 tombs is represented to the left of it. Ancient Russian drawings and inscriptions, including the famous Zverinets Cross have been preserved on the walls. The Archangel Mykhail Monastery was established on the basis of the Zverinets Skete in 2009. Two churches were built: the Zverinets Venerable Fathers Cathedral, the Mother of God Icon Cathedral. The caves of the monastery are a monument of archeology of national importance. According to one version, the library of Yaroslav the Wise could be kept in the caves of the skete. Caves are visited not only by pilgrims, but also by tourists.
X The Holy Trinity and Ven. Jonah’s Monastery is an Orthodox monastery on the Zverinets. It was known throughout Kyivan Rus and it was called the monastery of Father Jonah. It was founded in the 1860s by Jonah, the Archimandrite of Vydubychi. The monastery has been represented on the territory of the botanical garden since 1935., the Ven. Jonah’s Monastery with 800 men of the brethren had been the second most populated among the Kiev monasteries (after the Lavra) until 1917. Then it was closed. In 1966, the relics of Jonah were transferred to the Zverinets cemetery. The divine service was resumed in 1991.
X Navodnitsky Park is a monument of landscape art of local importance, it is located on Pechersk near the Dnieper embankment. It is one of the most beautiful and romantic parks with a view of the Dnieper. It was founded in 1960 during the construction of the Dnieper embankment and it has an area of 10.2 hectares. There is a symbol of the capital in the center of the park – a monument to the founders of Ancient Kiev in the form of a boat with figures of the founding brothers of Kiev Kyi, Shchek and Khoryv and their sister Lybid. This place has become a favorite among newlyweds. Traditionally, the newlyweds, standing with their back to the monument, throw a bouquet of flowers in the boat to make their family life happy. There is also a commemorative sign in the form of a stone stela dedicated to the 60th anniversary of the formation of the international organization of the United Nations in the park.
X The Bald mountain is a historical place, named because of its meager vegetation. This place is considered to be mystical. The pagan rituals were held here, as well as the ancient Magi made the first underground passages on Bald Mountain even in the times of Kievan Rus. Later the territory passed to the Pechersky Monastery. The construction of the Lysogorsky Fort of the New Caves Fortress has been started here since 1872. There was a military underground plant on Bald Mountain in the 1930s. There was the base of tanks “Tiger” during the German occupation in the dungeons. The regional landscape park “Bald Mountain” has been created with an area of 137.1 hectares since 1994. The bald mountain is divided into the following three parts: the Mermaid Yar (the mermaids live in the local lake according to the beliefs), the Witch’s Jar and the Dead Grove. The burials of the past centuries were found in the latter ones. Today there is a whole dungeon under the Bald Mountain.
X The pagan temple is a pagan sanctuary of native believers on the Bald Mountain, where pagan rituals were held even in the times of Kievan Rus. The tops of the hills with the strong energy of the Earth have been chosen as temples since ancient times, cleansing them of trees, bushes and grass. The top of the mountain became bald, hence the name. There are figures of deities from thick logs – pagan idols in the center of the temple. According to some sources, these are idols of traditional pagan deities – Perun, Roda, Svarog and Yarila. All deities are set on the sides of the world, symbolizing the seasons. There is also an altar stone with ancient runes carved on it, the sacrifices were made on it. The place is considered to be mystical. Today, one can meet people behind rituals in the place of the accumulation of earthly power, as well as people studying this locality. This place is also interesting for tourists who like extraordinary and amazing excursions.
X Upper Moscow Gates of Old Pechersk Fortress is a monument of fortification architecture of 1765. The southern entrance to the Old Pechersk fortress is connected with the Old Navodnitskaya road, which led to the Left Bank and Moscow. They consist of the Upper Gate, on the site of the wooden Pyatnitsky, and the Lower ones, located in the transverse shaft of the Near Retrenchment. They are vaulted tunnels flanked by facade walls. The architectural forms of the Upper Gate are characteristic of the Baroque style. The lower gates is decorated with pilasters and a rectangular attic. The building is a part of the architectural complex “Kiev Fortress”.
X The monument-museum “Kiev Fortress” is a museum complex created in 1927 based on one of the largest preserved stone and earth fortresses in the world, occupying almost the entire territory of the Pechersky Hill. It is the largest earth fortress in Europe and the second largest in the world. The fortress was built in several stages – from 1706 to 1870’s. There was a fortress from the Hospital fortification (there is the museum administration and exhibits now), Vasilkovsky, Zvirinets (there is the Botanical Garden now), Lysogorsky Fort on Bald Mountain (today there is a park belonging to the fortress museum). The entrance to the Kiev fortress consisted of three gates – Moscow, Kiev and Vasilkovsky. The new Pechersk fortress was built based on Citadel and Zverinets fortification during the reign of Nicholas I. Kiev became the most fortified major city of the empire. The hospital fortification, which has survived to the present day, became one of the main. There is the museum “Kiev Fortress” in the oblique caponier, located outside the main shaft of the Hospital fortification.
X Prison Museum in the “Oblique Caponier” was created in the early XXth century. There used to be a prison for political prisoners on its territory. The people called it “Kyiv Shlisselburg” for the cruelty that was in the prison walls. Underground corridors of the prison lead to prison cells (there is straw instead of a bed), punishment cells and death row cells. Immediately one can see the famous “death row”, where the convicts were taken to the execution, the prisoners’ clothes, the military uniform of guards and weapons. For those who are not afraid, excursions are held in the walls of the museum-prison.
X Hospital fortification is a part of the architectural complex “Kiev Fortress”, it is a semi-underground construction. There are embrasures and loopholes, as well as guns that are represented on the perimeter of the caponier. The fortification was erected in 1844. It includes the defensive structure “Oblique caponier”, located at an angle to the earthen rampart of the fortress. There is also the northern half-tower, the northern gate with a caponier, a military hospital with a tower, a caponier of 1-3 polygons in the hospital fortification. They all preserved to this day. It is considered to be the largest preserved stone-earth fortress in Europe and the second largest in the world.
X Round Tower is the tower No. 2 of the Vasylkiv fortification, which is a part of the complex of the Kiev fortress. The three other similar objects began to be built on Pechersk in 1833. One of the most famous tower among them is No. 2. It is located on Lesia Ukrainka Boulevard, although the official address of the tower is Konovalets Str., 44. The tower was intended for a battalion of soldiers of the garrison. This is a two-story monumental structure with a small courtyard – a parade ground, with narrow embrasures on the outer wall. The windows of the barracks went into the inner courtyard of the tower. A number of tower rooms had been used as a political prison since 1863. There were grown windows on the external facades instead of loopholes and embrasures in 1897. The remains of the battle rampart, closely adjacent to the tower, were preserved until now. Today the restaurants and offices are represented in the tower.
X Klovsky Tower was built in the middle of the ХIХth century at the highest point of the city of Klovska mountain as an object of the New Pechersk fortress. Tower No. 5 was a part of the complex defensive structures in Kiev to protect the northern slope of the Pechersky Upland. It also created a fortress front from the Klovski Yar. The tower was combined with other structures with the help of ramparts and defensive brick walls. The Pechersk fortress had no analogues in Europe and it was a mighty fortification, although the fortress has never fired throughout its history., the tower was divided into storage rooms and a garrison prison in 1897, loopholes were laid, and window slots appeared instead of them. During the Soviet era, the Ministry of Defense used the fortress as a military warehouse, there are different offices in our days.
X Nikolsky Gates is a monument of fortification architecture as a part of the Kiev fortress. It is also known as the St. Nicholas Gates (“Barracks on the isthmus”), being one of the entrances to the territory of the New Pechersk Fortress. It was built in the middle of the XIXth century and it was preserved until now. Nikolsky Gates are located behind the lobby of the metro station “Arsenalnaya”. Once the gates were the front entrance to the Kiev fortress from the Mariinsky Palace. It is interesting that the gates were built on the site of a natural isthmus, between the former ditch between Lipki and Pechersk. The structure is striking in complexity, unusual configuration (in the form of a stretched letter M) and romantic forms, it is represented with towers with dentate completion and loopholes.
X Lysogorsky Fort is one of the fortifications of Kiev, it was a part of the New Pechersk Fortress, located on the historic site – Bald Mountain. After the purchase by the city authorities of the territory, the construction of the Lysogorsky Fort of the New Caves Fortress had been started here since 1872. The fort was surrounded by a dry moat, surrounding earthen ramparts (up to 12 m high), bricked with tunnels. Several thousand soldiers could accommodate in its barracks. The size of the fort was up to 800 m in depth. But the fortress was not involved in any war. The fort had been transformed into military warehouses and a garrison prison since 1897. A secret tank repair plant was built here in the 1930s. During the German occupation, the factory was used by the Germans – it housed the German tank base “Tiger”. Today, the remains of the Lysogorsky Fort are a monument of military-defense architecture and are a part of the Kiev Fortress Museum.
X The Monument to Motherland was opened in 1981 on the Victory Day and it is included in ten highest statues in the world, whose height is 102 m. The construction from stainless steel is all-welded weighing 450 t. The statue symbolizes the feminine principle, the strength of the spirit of the Ukrainian people and it was established on the slopes of the Dnieper so that it can be seen even in remote areas of Kiev. There are two elevators and observation platforms, with an impressive view of the city in the monument. One site is located at the feet of the statue at a height of 36 m (the height of a 12-storey building), the other – at a height of 91 m (from the back of the shield above the fingers of the left hand of the sculpture). Today it is the largest sculpture in Ukraine, and it is included in the “Guinness World Records Book of Ukraine”. The Museum of Ukraine in World War II is locted at the foot of the monument.
X Askold’s grave is located on the Park road. According to the legend, in 882 Oleg, the Novgorod Prince, lured Askold and Dir, the princes of Kiev, to this place, and killed, because they did not belong to the Rurikovich family. Oleg also ascended the throne of Kiev. Askold was called to the throne by the Kievans, but according to other annals, Dir and Askold took power arbitrarily. According to the legend, Askold is buried at the scene of the murder. In the Xth century Olga, the Princess, built the wooden church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker in the honour of Askold. But in 971 Svyatoslav, the son of Olga, destroyed the church. In 990, Vladimir, the Prince, built the church, and in 1036 a female monastery was founded here. The grave of Askold is located in the basement under the church, where there is an ancient stone sarcophagus.
X Ivan Mazepa Str. is one of the oldest streets. It appeared on the site of the Ivanovo route, which connected the Old Town and the Pechersky Monastery in the times of Kievan Rus. The terrain where the Ivanovo route ran through was called Dolgaya Niva. There was the village of Berestovo, the estate of Kiev princes. There is the park of Glory and the upper part of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra on the site of the manor today. There was Nikolskaya Sloboda in the middle of the XVIIth century, where Nikolsky military council (destroyed in the Soviet era) was built in 1690–1696. The street was renamed in honor of Ivan Mazepa (1639–1709), the Ukrainian hetman in 2007. It is believed that the Nikolsky Military Council was built on his means in 1696.
X Ypsilanti House was built in 1799 for F.L. Vigel, the commandant of the Pechersk fortress. Constantine Ypsilanti, the ruler of Moldova, lived here with his family in this house in the period 1803–1806. K. Ypsilanti, the Greek by origin, was a member of the Fanariot aristocratic family of Ypsilanti and a participant in the Greek anti-Turkish liberation movement against the oppression of the Ottoman Empire. After the Turks suppressed the uprising in Moldova and Wallachia, Ypsilanti fled to Kiev. The Russian government restricted him in freedom of movement and kept it under surveillance. Alexander Dumas, the writer, inspired by the life of Ypsilanti, used several episodes from his life when writing his novel “The Count of Monte Cristo”. The Ypsilanti Manor was purchased by the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra in 1833. There was the Lavra Icon Workshop in the 1860-1870’s here. Adrian Prahov, the Russian art historian, archaeologist and art critic, lived in the house in 1881–1883.
X “The Green Theater” was built on the ruins of a fortress in the middle of the XIXth century. During the fortification of the Pechersk fortress, two support walls were built for the ravine. It was located between the metro station “Arsenalnaya” and the Mariinsky Park. The upper retaining wall was not of military importance, while the lower one closed the approaches to the Nikolayev chain bridge, guarding the Podolskie Nikolsky Gates. From the water tower, as well as through the lower and upper supporting walls, an underground passage leading to the Arsenal factory passed. It connected workshops and a water pump. There are galleries and gun loopholes inside the retaining walls. A cinema was built for 4000 seats at the base of the upper wall in 1949. Today the theater is in an abandoned state. Sometimes there are night discos and performances of various youth musical groups. Due to the legends of ghosts and mystical cases, young people of informal and alternative movements loved this place most of all
X The National Museum of Ukrainian History in the Second World War. Yhe museum was opened on May 9, 1981 and it is devoted to the victory of Ukraine over Nazism in the Second World War of 1939–1945. It is located on the Pechersky hills above the Dnieper, that is why the terrain has been significantly changed. The huge complex of 10 hectares consists of the museum-monument “Motherland”, the square with the avenue of hero cities, the compositions “The crossing of the Dnieper”, “The transfer of weapons” and “Front and rear heroes”, the fire of Glory, The exposition “Tragedy and valor of Afgan” and “On foreign wars”. The complex is one of the largest in Ukraine. The Memorial is a leading research, cultural and educational center on military history of Ukraine. Thousands of visitors from all over the world come here. The complex is an integral part of the historical and architectural landscape of the capital.
X The former office of the Governor-General is a monument of architecture in 1780 (Ivan Mazepa Str., 29-A). It is believed that this building was built in the 50s. of the XVIIIth century as an administrative institution and residential building of the Kiev Governor-General. The two-story building is built in the style of late baroque and early classicism. There were the provincial government institutions, then – quartermaster warehouses at the end of the XVIIIth century. Being the Kiev military governor, M.I. Kutuzov lived here in the period of 1806–1807.
X The Transfiguration Church (Church of the Savior on Berestov) is one of the oldest churches in Kiev, it is located near the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra. Being outside the Lavra, the church is still considered to be a part of the historical complex related to the World Heritage. The name of the church comes from Berestovo village, which used to be here (now it is the territory of the Glory Park). The village was a suburban estate of Kiev princes. According to the annals, the church was built by Vladimir Monomakh in the beginning of the XII century. It os the main cathedral of the Transfiguration Monastery, because it is the residence of princes of the Monomakhovich family. Not only the representatives of princely family are buried here, but also Yuri Dolgoruky, Gleb Yuryevich, the Prince of Kiev.
X The Kiev-Pechersk Lavra was founded in 1051 by St. Anthony, the Monk, settling in the caves of the future Pechersk Monastery. It is from the caves that the monastery takes its name. At the request of St. Antony, Izyaslav, the Prince gave the monastery the territory, which includes the whole mountain above the caves. In 1062 the monastery was called Pechersk. the territory of the monastery has begun to be built since the end of the XIth century. It was in the walls of the Caves Monastery in 1113 that Nestor the Chronicler wrote “The Tale of Bygone Years” – the main source of modern knowledge about Kievan Rus. The monastery received the status of the monastery in 1688. The Lavra is an honorary title, which was given only to large and significant monasteries. The Kiev-Pechersk Monastery becomes a spiritual and cultural-enlightenment centre. The territory of the monastery includes Near and Far Caves. Today there are museums, unique shrines on the territory of Lavra, as well as there the relics of saints in the caves.