HAVE A FUN WITH GUIDE-COMMITTEE IF YOU DON'T KNOW CITY!
Price from 25 $/hour
New development of Kiev
Clicking on the lens, you can see the photo and the description of the route elements. The construction of the new development began in Kyiv in XIX century. Among the oldest of them were the Volodymyrskiy Market (appeared in mid XIX century near St Volodymyr’s Cathedral, which was moved from Pechersk and was famous for its fairs, agricultural products trade, cattle, horses), Baikove Cemetery (appeared in 1830s, has many crypts built by famous architects such as V. Gorodetsky, V. Nikolaev, etc., many outstanding people like L. Bykov, L. Ukrainka, E. Paton and others were buried there), Lva Tolstogo square (appeared in the second half of the XIX century, was famous for its famous Mikhelson’s bath and the tallest building of that time), such streets as V.Vasylkivska, Shota Rustaveli, Saksaganskogo, Antonovycha, Peremogy square have all appeared later in 1830s as a result of the construction of a new Pechersk fortress and the resettlement of the inhabitants of Pechersk.
Among the new buildings we can highlight NSK “Olimpiс”, 1923, located at the bottom of the Cherepanova mountain (earlier this mountain was used as the southern and the eastern tribune for the spectators and the northern and the western parts were built from the debris of buildings, covered in soil); Kyiv Polytechnic Institute was founded in 1898, further disintegrated into several universities, such as Road Transport university, Institute of Food Industry, the Odessa Institute of Naval Engineers, etc.; “Bilshovik” plant, which was established by Czech entrepreneurs in 1882 and subsequently nationalized, was the largest engineering enterprise of the city; St. Nicholas Roman Catholic Cathedral, built in 1909 in honor of the Emperor Nicholas’ II visit to Kyiv.
The most diverse buildings and plantations are located in the New Development areas in Kyiv. From squares to parks, from profitable houses to skyscrapers (mall “Gulliver”, with the height of 140 m), universities, film studio, zoo, circus, cinemas, markets and much more. The ancient buildings of this region have mostly survived to this day.
X Lva Tolstogo square – located between Velyka Vasylkivska and Lva Tolstogo streets. Appeared in the second half of the nineteenth century. In 1891 the square was named Karavaevska in honor of the 50th anniversary of the famous scientist and physician Volodymyr Karavaev’s university activity. One of the first famous buildings of the square was the Mikhelson bath, known popularly as Karavayevska, and it was distinguished by its purity, for which it was recognized as one of the best baths in the city. Another notable construction was the profitable house of the famous Kyiv wine merchant Lev Bendersky, built in 1897-1899 on the project of architect Gorodetsky. After the construction the house was considered the highest dwelling building in Kyiv. In 1920 the Karavayevska Square was renamed Tolstovska Square on the initiative of the Lev Tolstoy Society of Memory and in 1939 it was renamed to Lva Tolstogo Square.
X Cinema “KYIV” – opened in 1952, became one of the largest entertainment establishments in the city. The cinema had two halls for 525 seats each and a third small hall for 250 seats. Special acoustic plaster, which increased the purity of sound appeared there for the first time. After the reconstruction in 2000 the cinema acquired a new name – the cultural center “Cinema Kyiv”. Thanks to new solutions, “Kyiv” has become one of the country’s best cinemas. International and all-Ukrainian festivals, special projects, exclusive programs, retrospectives, as well as film premieres with the participation of national and world cinema stars take place there. In 2007, the cinema was accepted into the international organization EUROPA CINEMAS, an international network that includes the best cinemas in Europe, Latin America, Asia and the French-speaking countries of Africa.
X Shota Rustaveli Street – also belongs to the New development area, appeared in 1830s. Originally it was called Mala (Small) Vasylkivska, because it ran parallel to Velyka (Big) Vasylkivska. The modern name was given to it in 1937 in honor of the medieval Georgian poet Shota Rustaveli. The main attractions: the Brodsky Synagogue, the cinema “Kinopanorama”.
X The Brodsky Synagogue was built in 1898 with the donations of the Kyiv millionaire Lazar Brodsky (he also built the Bessarabian market, the Kyiv Polytechnic Institute, the Paton Institute and the operetta theater). In 1926, the building was transferred to the club for a trade union of handicraftsmen. Since 1955, a children’s puppet theater was located there, in 1997 the building was transferred to the Jewish community of Kyiv. Since the Jews were not allowed to build religious buildings in the central part of Kyiv, the draft of the synagogue was rejected by the provincial authorities. It was allowed to accommodate living and household premises for ritual purposes. Then Brodsky and Kyiv rabbi Evsei Zukkerman decided to play smart by sending a complaint and a drawing of the side facade of the synagogue, from where the building looked like a household premise to St. Petersburg. And the Senate gave its permission. The building was built in a year, construction was carried out by Lev Ginzburg’s best construction company in the city. There is a museum in the hall of the synagogue where one can see the work of the Israeli sculptor Frank Meisler, the fragment of the Torah scroll of the 2nd-5th c., a copy of the key from the opening of the synagogue in 1898, ancient books, bales, tefillins, mezuzah, candlesticks.
X The Kyiv Palace of Sports is the largest indoor sports complex in Ukraine. The Sports Palace was opened in 1960. World championships, tournaments, exhibitions, fairs, concerts and ice shows were held here. The capacity of the palace is up to 10 thousand people. The sports arena can be used for 30 kinds of sports, including winter sports. “Eurovision” music contest was held there in 2005 and “Junior Eurovision” was also held there in 2009.
X Business Center “Parus” – opened in 2007, the building of 34 floors (136 m) was built in only 3 years. Until 2010, “Parus” was the tallest building in the city. Today, it’s the third highest building after the mall “Gulliver” and LCD “Klovskiy.” The building got its name because it resembled a sail (“parus” in Ukrainian). Kyiv’s “Parus” was filmed in the film “The Illusion of Fear” based on the book of the same name by Oleksandr Turchinov. In the film, the building is destroyed. In 2008 three young men performed base jumping from the skyscraper. All of them successfully landed, but the “Parus” security team was fired. “Parus” is often used in advertising videos and conducting various talk shows.
X Mall “Gulliver” – opened in 2013, construction lasted for 9 years. Its height is 35 floors (140 m). Now it is the highest skyscraper in Ukraine. Initially it was planned to be called Continental, but then a contest was held and the name “Gulliver” was chosen. The shopping and entertainment center is located right in the heart of the capital. There are more than 150 boutiques, cafes and restaurants, bowling, a 6-screen “Oscar” cinema, a SkyFitness fitness center with a panoramic view and a 25 m swimming pool. Mall “Gulliver” won the “Ukrainian People’s Award -2016” rated as the best mall.
X Cinema “Kinopanorama” – one of the oldest cinemas in Kyiv, was opened in 1958 as the first panoramic cinema in the USSR. The main feature of the “Kinopanorama” is its unique acoustics (distance from chair to chair was measured during its construction). Screenings of festival films, performances, anniversaries and creative evenings of actors take place there. The cinema has 2 halls, a cafe with summer grounds. This is the only art-house cinema in Kyiv today.
X Saksaganskogo Street – one of the main streets of the so-called New development district, which began to build-up in the 1830s in connection with the construction of a new Pechersk fortress and the resettlement of citizens in a new district. In the early XIX century at the place of the street there was a wasteland. With the beginning of development, the street consisted of two streets – Velyka and Mala Zhandarmska. In 1881 the street was extended through the area of private houses and united into the one large street – Zhandarmska, named due to the location there of gendarmerie and gendarmerie stables. In 1888, it was renamed Mariinsko-Blagovishchenska Street (in honour of the Annunciation Church (to this day it is not preserved) and the Mariinsky community of the Red Cross). By the end of the XIX century the street has become one of the most important. And in 1895 a tram line was laid here. Up to now, the street preserved its appearance of the turn of the XIX-XX centuries. The most significant architectural buildings that preserved to this day are the House of the Mariinsky community, the House of YUROTAT (the South-Russian society of pharmacy products trade), built in 1899, numerous profitable houses of the beginning of the XX century. In 1937, the street was named in honour of the deceased Kyiv actor Panas Saksaganskyi.
X Shota Rustaveli Park – was opened in 2007 and is located on the corner of Saksaganskogo and Shota Rustaveli streets. It’s named after the philosopher and the poet of the 12th century, the author of the epic poem “The Knight in the Panther’s Skin”. The central composition of the park is a monument to Shota Rustaveli. Sculpture-benches and various stone figures of illustrations to “The Knight in the Panther’s Skin” surround the monument. In the evening the sculptures of the park are illuminated and a color image of a fresco from the Crusade Monastery, located in Jerusalem is projected upon the bas-relief depicting Rustaveli. A park was created with the funds of the Georgian diaspora.
X The House on Saksaganskogo, 27 – in 1903-1905 a great Jewish writer Sholom Aleichem lived in the apartment number 4 on the 2nd floor on the Mariinsko-Blagoveshchensk street (now Saksaganskogo street). While living in Kiev, Sholom Aleichem wrote “Menachem Mendla”, “In A Small World Of Small People”, some novels from “Tevye the milkman” as well as short stories. A memorial plaque was installed on the building in 1988.
X Gronfayn’s Profitable house – Saksaganskogo street, 33-35, is a profitable house owned by the entrepreneur Chaim-Beru Gronfayn, who traded agricultural equipment. The Gothic style building was built in the early XX century. A young student who had a crush on the Gronfayn’s daughter often visited the house. Soon the young couple got married against the will of the girl’s father. But after the revolution, Gronfayn changed his mind when he found out that his son-in-law had become a famous writer – his name was Isaac Babel. The heirs of the Odessa’s brilliant narrator, who was even once accused of writing pornography, now live in America.
X Mariinsky community house – 3-storey gray building is located on Saksaganskogo street, 75. It was erected in 1913-1915 for the Mariinsky community of Red Cross nurses, who were involved in providing aid to wounded soldiers. The community was organized in 1878 after the Russian-Turkish war, and was initially located in a small building. A large building, which survived to this day, was built on charitable means. A well-known philanthropist N. Tereshchenko donated 10 thousand rubles to purchase the land. There were a hospital, a pharmacy, an outpatient clinic, a hostel for nurses in the house. A lot of well-known Kyiv doctors worked there, for example, pathologist and immunologist prof. V. Podvysotsky. Later the building housed N.Strazhesko’s Institute of Cardiology, today – The Institute of Occupational Health and Research Institute of Independent Expertise. One can see a symbol of medicine – a bowl with a snake, as well as female statues, symbolizing charity, life, love and medicine on the facade of the building.
X House on Saksaganskogo, 84-86 – the construction began in XX century, the house belonged to the Tsvilenyov family. Mykola Nosov, the writer of a famous book about the legendary fairy-tale character Neznaika lived in this house when he was a boy. After the revolution, the family was allocated in the part of the former general’s apartment, where Mykola lived, being still a child. He went to the school on Zhytomirska street, and it is possible that some episodes from his stories are based on the children who played in the streets of the capital.
X Profitable house – is located on Saksaganskogo, 96. It was built in 1898-1899 as a profitable house of technician-builder Martin Klug on his own project. The centre of the facade is isolated by large columns of composite order, the bases of which are supported by figures of Atlanteans. Thanks to thorough study of architectural and sculptural details, the building is a real decoration of the street. In 1902 in one of the apartments lived Sergiy Berdyaev – writer and theatrical critic, public figure. In the period of 1910-1917 here lived Timofiy Lonachevsky-Petrunyak – doctor, professor, head of the department of pharmaceutics and pharmacognosy (he investigated molecular compounds and developed methods for purifying Dnipro water).
X The house-museum of Lesya Ukrainka is located on Saksaganskogo street, 97. The parents of the poetess lived in this house on the 1st floor in apartment number 3 in 1899-1910. Lesya often came to visit. The poetess herself temporary lived in the house on Saksaganskogo, 101 as it is confirmed by a memorial plaque installed on the house. A lot of famous personalities of that time came to visit the poetess: M.Staritsky, N. Lysenko, M.Rylsky were among them.
X House South Russian society (YUROTAT)- or South-Russian society of pharmacy products trade. At the end of 1871, Adolf Marcinchik, the son of a doctor, together with his brother-pharmacist Tselestin Marcinchik, merchant Roman Kryzhanovski and landowner August Chervinsky created a society for the trade in pharmaceutical, chemical and other goods and called it “Marcinchik Brothers” and later opened a pharmaceutical warehouse. 10 years later the firm was transformed in YUROTAT. After the fire that broke out in Marcichnik’s laboratory in 1896 on Fundukleevska street 10, the city authorities ordered to remove it from the center. A new enterprise was created afterwards, located on today’s Saksaganskogo 108/18. That was the place where YUROTAT started its work. In 1889-1899 a 3-storey building with a cellar was built here for YUROTAT. Newspapers wrote that the building became the most luxurious in the city. Its main facade is decorated with stucco, owl figurines as a symbol of a wise craft are sculpted on the corner pediment. The ledges of the walls are decorated with scenes from the history of the development of medicine, and the facade is decorated with busts of Hippocrates and Avicenna. Now the company is a part of the Arterium corporation. Today there are many different offices in the building.
X Antonovych Street – one of the main streets of the New development, laid in the 1830’s and consisted of two streets – Kuznechna Street (due to the location along the street blacksmith’s workshops) and Naberezhno-Lybidska Street (due to the river Lybid, running parallel to the street). In 1909, two streets were united under the name of Kuznechna Street. In 1913, at the beginning of the street was laid boulevard. In 1919, the street was named Proletarska Street. Since 1936 it was called Gorkogo Street in honour of the writer A.M. Gorky. In 2014 it was renamed into Antonovycha Street – in honour of the Ukrainian historian, archaeologist and public figure who lived on this street in the house №40. On the street you can see a lot of interesting architectural buildings of the turn of the XIX-XX centuries – these are estates, profitable and dwelling houses. The street is often mentioned in the works of Nekrasov.
X Laiba Kuchera Estate (Lva Kucherova) is located on Antonovycha Street, 23, 23-B, 23 – V, built in 1899-1900 by the famous Kyiv architect. V. Nikolaev. The estate belonged to the construction contractor Lev Kucherov (real name – Leiba Kucher). The main building (No. 23) was erected in the Renaissance style, where Glier Rheingold Moritsovich lived in 1914 – 1916 – composer and conductor, National Artist of the USSR since 1938. R. Glier was the director of the Conservatory of Kyiv. His students were such composers as B. Lyatoshinsky and L. Revutsky. In 1914, Gliere was awarded the M. Glinka prize.
X Krauss profitable house – located on Antonovycha Street, 32, was built by the famous architect. A. Krauss in 1877 in the Renaissance style as his own profitable house. Since 1888, the estate belonged to the Italian citizen N.Bella. The house is a unique landmark of Kyiv’s residential architecture of the late 19th century.
X The house where the writer Nekrasov lived is a building on Antonovycha Street, 38a, built in the beginning of the 20th century in the eclectic style as a profitable house and belonged to E. Filkenstein. Victor Nekrasov, who wrote the story “In the trenches of Stalingrad” (1946), for which he was awarded the State Prize of the USSR (1947) lived and worked in the apartment number 7 on the fourth floor of that building in 1944-1950.
X The profitable house – (Antonovych street, 48) building of the late XIX century, built in an eclectic style with features of the Renaissance. In the early XX century it belonged to the collegiate assessor V. Josef. The house has a unique appearance, decorated with elegant stucco molding. The facade of the house is decorated with the heads of lions – a symbol of home protection.
X Solomon Brodsky Jewish School – a building on Antonovycha street, 69 was constructed in 1903-1904 by the architect A. Minkus in the style of historicism. The Brodsky sugar factories financed the construction. The building was occupied by a two-year Jewish school for 300 boys with a craft department for 100 students. A graphic artist and a painter Zynoviy Tolkachov was among its students. After 1917, M.Ratmansky vocational school was located there, the Institute of Electric Welding of the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian SSR (now the Interdisciplinary Scientific and Technical Complex “The E. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine”) was located there since 1944. E.Paton – the great scientist and the founder of electric welding – worked there in 1944-1953. There is a memorial plaque to E. Paton on the facade of the building.
X The Volodymyrskiy market – appeared in the 1830s in the New development area. Due to the construction of the New Pechersk Fortress in 1833, St Volodymyr’s Cathedral was moved to V. Vasylkivska from Pechersk. Trade appeared in the church area in the middle of the XIX century, eventually forming a market, which became known as “Volodymyrskiy”. The market was a busy trade center. Fairs took place there, people traded agricultural products, cattle, horses. In 1930 the church was destroyed, and the market survived until the mid-1960s. A cinema-concert hall was built instead (today it’s called the “Ukraine” Palace (1970), and the Volodymyr market was moved to the neighboring block, where it is still located on Antonovycha Street, 115.
X The Baikove cemetery is a memorial cemetery, one of the oldest and most prestigious citadels of the capital, located on Baykova mountain. It was founded in the 1830s on the initiative of General Baikov, a participant of the Russian-Turkish war – the owner of the farm behind the Lybid River. Eventually these lands got the name the Baikov’s farm. Later the Baikova mountain got its name from the farm, where the cemetery is located. Initially, only Catholics and Lutherans were buried there. Later it was allowed to bury the Orthodox. The cemetery is divided into two parts – Old and New. In the years 1884-1889 church of the Ascension was built on its territory and the electric tram was launched for the convenience. It operated till 2005. There are crypts in the cemetery, built by famous architects such as V. Gorodetskiy, V.Nikolaev and are truly the monuments of architecture. The most famous people were buried here: historian M. Hrushevsky, poetess L.Ukrainka, actor L.Bykov, actor B.Stupka, medical scientist N.Amosov, coach V.Lobanovsky, scientist E.Paton and other outstanding personalities. In 2001, the Baikove cemetery was officially recognized as an outstanding monument of the history of Ukraine, the significance of which is emphasized both by burials and its architectural heritage.
X Velyka Vasylkivska Street – the main street of the New development area, where in the 1830s lived the resettled residents from the area of the New Pechersk fortress, by and large petty officials and retired soldiers. For a long time it was known as a road to Vasylkiv. At the beginning of the XIX century it was called VelykaVasylkivska Street. Until the 1890’s at the intersection of the streets of the VelykaVasylkivska Street and Fedorov Street there was the Kinna (Horse) Square, where were held horse fairs. Intensive build-up of the street began in the middle of the XIX century. In 1919 the street was named Chervonoarmiyska, since 2014 the historical name has been returned. The main sights are the church of St. Nicholas Roman Catholic Cathedral, The Operetta Theater, NSK Olimpiysky, profitable houses, which were built in the XIX century.
X The Operetta Theater – the former People’s Troitsky House, also known as the “House of Public Education”, is located on V.Vasylkivska, 53\3 of 1902’s construction. The name is associated with the Trinity Church, which stood on the corner of Zhilyanska and Velyka Vasylkivska (it has not survived to this day). It was created by the local Literacy Society – for the cultural leisure of Kyivans and to introduce them to the theater. The house was designed by the engineer G.Antonovsky for free. Significant funding for the construction was made by famous patrons of art L. Brodsky and N. Tereshchenko. Originally the capacity of the hall was up to 1000 seats, today it is up to 800 seats. In 1905-1907 the Central Bureau of Trade Unions operated here under the guise of a cultural and educational commission and it was closed for the distribution of prohibited literature. In 1907-1918 the first stationary Ukrainian musical and drama theater was opened under the supervision of the great actor and director N.Sadovskiy. In 1919-1922 Ukrainian National Folk Theater was located there, which was led by the famous actor and director P.Saksaganskiy. The legendary actress Maria Zankovecka along with her troupe came to the Troitskiy house in 1923. In 1934 Troitsky people’s house was transferred to the Kiyv State Theater of Musical Comedy, since 1967 and to this day it is called the Kyiv National Academic Theater of Operetta. The building is an object of cultural heritage.
X NSK Olimpiс is the main sports arena of Ukraine, located in the center of Kyiv, at the foot of Cherepanova Mountain, it is one of the largest sports facilities in Europe. In 1913, the 1st Russian Olympics took place at the site of the NSK Olimpiс, where athletes from all over the Russian Empire took part in the competition. People watched what was happening on the field from the slopes of Cherepanova Mountain. The idea of a stadium construction in Kyiv first appeared in 1914 but the beginning of World War I has ruined the plans. Only in 1923 the stadium named Chervoniy (Red) was opened on the Aleksiivsky park’s territory, which can be called a predecessor of the existing one. The first reconstruction of the stadium took place in 1936-1941 according to the design of M. Grechyna, after which the stadium became known as the Republican stadium, and already in 1996 the stadium received its modern name – NSK Olimpiyskiy. In 1998-1999 another reconstruction was carried out to modernize the stadium up to international standards – the number of seats was reduced to 83,450, the grass was replaced with natural grass and the heating device was installed. In 2008, due to the preparations for Euro 2012, the stadium underwent a big reconstruction, after which the number of seats was reduced to 70 050. NSK Olympiс received the highest status from UEFA. The finals of the European Football Championship were held in 2012 there. The stadium will become the venue for the finals of the UEFA Champions League in 2018. Records of attendance: 73,950 spectators at the match Dynamo (Kyiv) – Shakhtar (Donetsk) in 2001, 75,823 spectators at the anniversary concert of the band “Okean Elzy” in 2014 and 69,894 spectators at the qualifying match of the 2014 World Cup between the national teams of Ukraine and England.
X The police garden is a small cozy public garden located on the corner of V.Vasylkivska and Fedorova streets. It got its name due to its location near the former Kyiv Police Academy. By the way, the street itself was called the Policeyska (Police) street in the middle of the XIX century. A city police brass band used to play there. An ancient fountain which was installed in prerevolutionary times has survived to this day and is decorated with mermaids and faces of the god Selene. Painted benches appeared here in 2011, installed during the festival “Street Gallery of Smiles”. There is also a monument to Petko Voevoda in the garden, a Bulgarian revolutionary and the participant of the Russian-Turkish war of 1877-1878, who lived for some time in Kyiv. In 2014, a box with books was installed as a part of the “Free Library” project, and in 2016 a khachkar monument installed by the Armenian community of Kyiv was opened.
X St. Nicholas Roman Catholic Cathedral is a Roman Catholic cathedral built in 1909 to commemorate the Emperor St. Nicholas’ II visit to Kyiv. Construction of a foundation for concrete piles was proposed for the first time and reinforced concrete was widely used in the construction. In the 1930s it was closed and looted, and the clergy was repressed. Warehouses of goods were located in the building. The cathedral suffered greatly from artillery shelling and fire in 1943. Since 1980 the cathedral began to operate as a concert hall of the House of Organ and Chamber Music. The cathedral is unique for its acoustics and organ (it has up to 4 thousand pipes) and was custom made.
X House-Museum of Maria Zankovetska – a small two-story house-museum on V.Vasilkivska, 121, dedicated to the legendary Ukrainian actress of the XIX-XX centuries. – Maria Zankovetska, whose deeds played a major role in the development and recognition of the Ukrainian National Theater. There was a house belonging to the family of the actress’ sister on the site of the musem. The house had several apartments, and Maria, who settled here in 1918, took up apartment number 4 and had lived there until 1934. In 1960 the museum of Maria Zankovetska was opened in the house, however the part of the house was still being residential. In the 1980s the house was demolished, and it was rebuilt in 1989. The exposition of the museum is based on the personal collection of the actress.
X Zankovetskaya garden square – is located near the museum of M. Zankovetska, and there are about 600 species of trees and shrubs – ornamental crab apple trees, magnolia, sakura, red oak, blue spruce, thujas, linden and acacia. The garden square was planted in memory of the 20th anniversary of the 1986 Chornobyl tragedy. In 2008 a monument to the dead journalists was installed. In 2012 a light and music fountain with geysers and waterfalls was installed in the garden square.
X The National Palace of Arts “Ukraine” is one of the largest concert halls in Ukraine, is located on V.Vasylkivska, 103 on the site of the former Volodymyrskiy market. It was opened in 1970. During the construction of the building, granite, white and pink marble were mostly used. The palace has a trapezoid shape, is 28m high and accommodates 3,714 seats. The use of various technical means and the architectural solution of the hall made the palace unique acoustic qualities-wise. In 1996 a great overhaul was carried out for the total sum of 80 million dollars. It was equipped with the most modern technology. The first major event was the 42nd Miss Europe-1997 contest. In 1998 the palace received the national status. Not only concerts are held there, but also national and international social and political events, such as the inauguration of presidents.
X Mall “OceanPlaza” – opened in 2012 and is located on Lybid Square, one of the most visited shopping centers of the capital. The main feature is a huge aquarium with a volume of 350 thousand liters of water, in which more than 1,000 representatives of marine fauna live. The architecture of the mall uses the latest facade media technologies. The facade is made in the form of a blue wave with 9 screens, the interior is decorated with a fountain and a sculpture of marine inhabitants. There are a lot of brand shops here, as well as a cinema, a children’s entertainment center, restaurants and cafes.
X Peremogy Square is the square connecting the boulevard of Taras Shevchenko, the Peremogy Avenue and such streets as Saksaganskogo Str., Zlatoustovska Str., Bulvarno-Kudryavska Str., Olesya Gonchara Str. and Starovokzalna Str.. From the middle of the XIX century here was the market of things, called the Jewish Bazaar, and popularly – the Yevbaz. The Square in 1869 was called Galytska (hence began the road to the West – to Galicia). At the same time on the square was built the church of St. John Chrysostom (today at this place locates circus). The square received its present name in 1952. Since then, the square became a favourite place of the Soviet government for conducting solemn military parades. In 1981-1982 on the square was installed the obelisk to the Hero-City (height – 43 m). With the address “Peremogy Square” there are only three buildings – a circus building, a Lybid hotel and a shopping mall “Ukraine”.
X The eponymous prospectus originates from the Peremogy (Victory) sqaure – one of the longest thoroughfares of the city (11.5 km). Since the beginning of its construction (end of the XIX century) it was called the Brest-Lytovske highway, since 1964 – Brest-Lytovske avenue, since 1985 – Peremogy Avenue. Since 1899 and until 1985 the tram cruised down the avenue. Along the avenue there are historical buildings such as the former building of the Tobacco Factory (No. 6), the zoo (No. 32), the buildings of the Kyiv Polytechnic Institute (No. 37, 39), the O.Dovzhenko film studio (No. 44), the post station with outbuildings (№150), etc.
X The National Circus is one of the oldest in Ukraine, it was opened in 1960. Built in the mid-1950’s on the site of the so-called Iron Church of St. John Chrysostom. The special feature of the structure is the use of innovative technologies in the construction of a dome cover. The shell of the dome consists of five conical belts, each of which is assembled from 32 identical reinforced concrete panels. The building is the largest dome building in the city. Not only Ukrainian, but also world celebrities perform on the circus’ stage.
X The shopping center “UKRAINE” was built in 1967 as a department store in the style of the Soviet era. Due to its location it was one of the most popular department stores of the time. In 2003 it was reconstructed, and turned from the Soviet department store into a modern shopping center. Having received a new appearance in the form of glazed facades, the shopping center became a favorite place not only for shopping, but also for spending leisure time of Kyivans and guests of the capital. Apart from stores there are bowling, billiards club, sushi bar, restaurant-brewery “Schultz”.
X The Lybid Hotel was built in 1970 and named after the sister of the founders of Kyiv. The successful location of the hotel makes it popular among tourists (it’s located near Khreshchatyk street, as well as near the railway station). Today it is one of the best modern business hotels in the capital. Includes more than 200 comfortable rooms, 3 conference halls and a restaurant.
X Kyiv Polytechnic Institute – or simply KPI, National Technical University and one of the largest universities in Ukraine. It was founded in 1898 and was located in the premises of the Commercial School on Vorovskogo Street. The first buildings in the neo-Romanesque style appeared in 1901 on the former deserted city outskirts and a park was laid out along the highway. In 1923-1933 and in the following years various institutes were established on the basis of faculties and specialties of the KPI (Kyiv Civil Engineering and Kyiv Road Institute, Odessa Institute of Naval Engineers, etc.). In 1995 KPI received the status of the National Technical University of Ukraine. The central building of the university is worth noticing – this is the main building, decorated with turrets, which served not only as an architectural decoration, but was also used for observation and experiments. Institute housings are of particular importance – training workshops that host the Polytechnic Museum today, which presents various directions for the development of science and technology. In the 1970-1980’s buildings in the style of the Soviet era appeared on the territory, in particular, the library and the Palace of Culture, where concerts and youth events often take place. Today, KPI is the largest university in Ukraine. Since 2016 it is named after I. Sikorsky, who graduated from the university, becoming an outstanding aircraft designer of the XX century.
X The Park of KPI – a monument of landscape art of local importance (with an area of 13.5 hectares), laid in 1903 in front of the KPI housings and serves as a decoration of its architectural ensemble. The park is dominated by deciduous tree species, however there are also exotic ones: sugar maple, Caucasian lapin. There are a lot of squirrels in the park. After the reconstruction in 2008 the park has become a favorite place not only for students, but also for citizens. There are a number of monuments dedicated to outstanding personalities on the park’s territory.
X Kyiv Zoo – is located since 1913. Originally (the year of foundation – 1908) it was located on the territory of the present A. Fomin Botanical Garden. It is one of the largest zoos in the area of zoological parks in Europe located within the city. To date, the zoo is full of animals, birds and reptiles of various species. There are also rare animals in the zoo that are listed in the Red Book. In addition, more than 130 species of trees and bushes grow on the territory. In 1996, the Kyiv Zoo became a member of the European Association of Zoos and Aquariums. Scientific work is carried out in order to acclimatize animals inhabiting distant countries, to save and reproduce rare animal species. On the basis of the zoo there is a circle of young naturalists, where children receive knowledge of biology, zoogeography of terrestrial and aquatic animals, get acquainted with animals, study their behavior. There are also locomotive tours around the zoo.
X O.Pushkin park – a park located along the Peremogy Avenue, between the metro stations “Shulyavska” and “Polytechnic Institute”, was founded in 1898 on the territory of the Kyiv Horticulture Society of the orchard and named Pushkinskiy – on the poet’s 100th birthday (1899). The special feature of the park has become its arrangement not only for hiking, but also for horseback riding and automobile driving. By 1907, more than 30,000 seedlings had been planted in the park, forming groves of different types of trees. In 1962 the monument to Oleksandr Pushkin was installed near the entrance to the park. There is a house of culture “Bilshovik” in the park, an exhibition center “Akko-International” (the former concert-dance hall “Lira”), a restaurant and a small temple. There are children’s playgrounds, thus the park has become a favorite with children.
X The O.Dovzhenko film studio – Kyiv film factory, established in 1927. In the same the actual filming started and 10 films had already been shot by 1929. Since 1957 the studio is named after O.Dovzhenko – an outstanding film director and a writer. It was here where O.Dovzhenko made his best movies “Earth” and “Schors”, that later became classics in motion picture art. 1960 – 1970 a new dawn of the film studio, where such masterpieces of the Soviet cinematography were made: “Only Old Men Are Going to Battle” (L.Bykov), “Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors” (S. Paradzhanov), etc. The territory of the studio consists of more than 13 hectares, including six shooting pavilions. One of the pavilions with an area of 2520 m² is one of the largest in Europe. Also there is a museum on the territory devoted to the creation of a film studio.
X The “Bilshovik” plant – Kyiv machine-building plant, founded in 1882 by Czech entrepreneurs J. Greter and I. Krivanek under the name of “Kyiv Iron Foundry and Mechanical Plant”, and since 1888 it was named “Kyiv Machine-Building Plant Gretera, Krivaneka and Co.”. It was the largest engineering enterprise of the city and produced equipment for sugar factories, steam boilers, pumps, etc. In 1919, the plant was nationalized and named “First State Machine-Building Plant of Kyiv”, and in 1922 it was named “Bilshovik”. In 1926 the great scientist E. Paton has created a laboratory for electric welding research on the plant’s territory. During the defense of Kyiv in 1941 the plant produced shells and armored cars, repaired tanks. After the war, it began to produce viscose machines, later mastered the technology of foundry. Today it is the only universal machine-building complex with a full cycle of production, leading among the CIS countries and Eastern Europe in creation of large-capacity, large unit capacity equipment for the processing of rubber, plastics and their wastes. Some of the old buildings of the plant are often used for filming. But there is a part sold for the construction of the mall “Cosmopolit”. The plant has its own museum, located in the building of the House of Culture of the plant, on Peremogy Avenue, 38.
X The “Nyvky” park is a park-monument of landscape art, divided into the eastern and the western parts, one of the few parks to have century-old trees. The area of the park is 60 hectares. In the eastern part of the park (the former Vasylchikivksa summer house), the terrain is hilly and there are several ponds. The western part (former park of the Lenin’s Komsomol) is younger and was opened in the 1960s. There are several artificial reservoirs, an amusement park and a museum of circus art. In the middle of the XIX century Senkivske and Khmelevitske farms were located on site of eastern part of the park, given by the Emperor Oleksandr II to General I. Vasilchikov, the Governor of the Kyiv province in 1859, where he built a two-story homestead surrounded by forests, pastures, ponds and gardens. After Vasylchikov’s death his wife gave these lands to Zverinetsky Holy Trinity Monastery of St. Jonas. With the advent of the Soviet power, the territory was taken from the monastery and nationalized. In the 1930s the park was converted into a special summer house, which L. Kaganovich, N. Khrushchev and D. Korotchenko, a monument to whom was erected in 1964 near the entrance to the park, all visited at a time. Only in 1962 the park was transferred to the city, named in honor of the “22nd Congress of the CPSU.” In 10 years, the park was renamed into the “Nyvky” park, appropriating the status of a monument of garden and park art. The western part of the park was opened in the 1960s and was called the park of the Lenin’s Komsomol. There were a concert hall “Youth”, several artificial reservoirs, an amusement park, a boat station, a summer cinema “Zeleniy Teatr”, where the therapist A. Kashpirovsky once performed. Today the park is a favorite place of leisure pastime among the Kyivans and a popular place for wedding photography.