HAVE A FUN WITH GUIDE-COMMITTEE IF YOU DON'T KNOW CITY!
Price from 25 $/hour
Clicking on the lens, you can see the photo and the description of the route elements. In 1756 at this place was built the suburban Klovsky palace on the occasion of the Empress Elizabeth’s arrival to Kyiv. A large lime grove was planted around it with straight alleys in the direction of the Dnipro slopes, therefore the entire area was called Lypky. Besides lime alleys, here in the times of Peter the Great, there appeared the grape and silk gardens.
For some time it was called the Volodymyr’s part, since here was situated the St. Volodymyr’s Church, which was later transferred to the “New Structure”. In 1833 the Governor-General Levashov destroyed a wonderful lime grove, and the Lypky were planned by laying straight streets like an arrow, which were intersected at right angles by the same streets. Destruction of the lime grove caused sharp discontent of Kyivans. The writer M.D. Buturlin (1807-1876), the grandson of Elizabethan Field-Marshal O.B. Buturlin, called Levashov’s actions as “vandalism”. He wrote that this “administrator cut down the pyramidal poplars, which border some streets on both sides. In his front eagerness to obey, as much as possible, a straight line, he levelled the hillside slopes of one of the streets in such a way that one unfortunate chemist lost any access to his house, because the mountain rupture came to his porch. “Wine and silk gardens were also destroyed.
In the 19th century Lypky was an aristocratic district of the city, because the Russian and Polish aristocracy settled near the tsarist palace in the area with gardens and clean air. The Polish layer was very significant in Kyiv. In Lypky the Poles had also their Gentry Assembly on the Instytutska Street.
In the second half of the 19th century Lypky and adjoining streets have turned also into the administrative, financial, military, educational and cultural center of the city. Here, except from the tsarist residence, there were also governor’s residences, the Kyiv branch, the Office of the State Bank, the Kyiv Land Bank, the Kyiv Stock Exchange and the Exchange Committee, the Kyiv Military District Administration, gymnasiums, the Institute of Noble Maidens, the School for the Blind, the Solovtsov Theater, the Krutikov Circus, the city library, numerous charitable institutions, etc. This district is also rich in architectural masterpieces: House with chimaeras, Mariinsky Palace, National Bank building, Chocolate house, etc.
X Mariinsky Park was earlier called “Tsarsky”, where parades were held. The founder of the park is considered to be the Empress Maria Alexandrivna, wife of Alexander II. Arriving after the coronation to Kyiv and following the European and Petersburg’s fashion of laying out parks. Empress Maria ordered at the place of the palace square and the military parade-ground to lay out the park in English style. Also, the name of the park is associated with the name of another tsar’s lady, Maria Fedorivna, the wife of Emperor Alexander III, who lived in Kyiv for 2 years, organizing hospitals and sanatoria for the wounded during World War I. Here Maria Fedorivna learned about the abdication of the emperor and was sent into exile. So far, the opinions of historians differ about the person who named the park and the palace of the same name. Next to the palace is located a specific platform from which you can admire the Dnipro River and the left bank of the capital.
X The Arch of Friendship of Peoples or, as the Kyivites call it “Rainbow”, was opened in 1982 and is timed to celebrate the 1500th anniversary of Kyiv. The arch is made in the form of a rainbow, uniting parts of the composition together. In addition, the place where the Arch of Friendship of Peoples is located attracts tourists and locals not only as a historical landmark, but also as a viewing platform with a view of the Dnipro and the left bank of the capital. And in the evenings it glows with bright lights.
X Khreshchaty Park is one of the most popular parks. In tsarist times it was called the Merchant Garden. Initially, this territory was the part of the Tsarsky (City) Park, until the Kyiv merchants rented a corner of the garden, which is adjacent to the building of the Merchant Assembly. In 1872 in the park was built the first water tower of the Kyiv water pipe. Now here locates the Kyiv Water Museum. In the period of 1899-1901 in the park was built the Summer Theatre in the form of seashell. In 1923 next to the park in the building of the Merchant Assembly was opened a philharmonic society, which exists to this very day. Also in the park there is a fairy-tale castle – it’s a puppet theatre. On the territory of the park there are observation decks, from which opens a picturesque panorama of the Dnipro.
X Puppet theatre is a fairy-tale castle in Khreshchaty Park. The building of the theatre was built in 2005 on the site of a children’s stereo cinema “Dnipro”. In addition to the beautiful appearance, the theatre has a “Throne Room”, an aquarium with sea fish and an museum exhibition of puppets. Near the entrance to the theatre there is a light and musical fountain with a fairy-tale character Thumbelina.
X The bridge of lovers is a bridge that connects two most beautiful parks of the capital, Khreshchaty and Mariinsky. A bridge was built according to the project of Eugene Paton and was opened in 1910. From the bridge opens a beautiful view to the central and left-bank of the city. The bridge of lovers is a folk name, due to the fact that lovers and newlyweds adorn it with locks. And in 2013, near the entrance to the bridge was erected a monument of the “Eternal Love”, created on the history of love of an Italian prisoner of war and a Ukrainian girl, who was exported to the forced labour, during the war against the German Nazis.
X Dynamo Stadium – in the 1920s, at the place of the stadium were located greenhouses for tsarist nobles. At first, there were sports grounds near by, and in 1934 from the stands of the stadium you could watch the first football matches. It is worth noting the event in 1942 – this year’s match between the “Dynamo Kyiv” and a team of German invaders, went down in history as a “Death Match”. According to the legend, four players of “Dynamo” were shot for the refusal to lose to the Germans. On the territory of the stadium there is a monument to the dead football players. Since 2002, the stadium has received a new name in honour of the player and coach of the world scale and began to be named after V.Lobanovsky. Today you can get to the territory of the stadium with an excursion and see with your own eyes the exhibition of won trophies, the famous stadium and its stands.
X The Mariinsky Palace is one of the most famous palaces of the capital, which was built in the Baroque style. The construction of the palace falls on 1744-1752. The palace project was designed by the famous architect Bartolomeo Rastrelli, and the architect Ivan Michurin. Earlier it was called as Tsar’s Palace. Empress Elizabeth Petrivna, on whose order the palace was erected, never had time to visit it. The first tsarist person, who received in 1787 an ambassador from Venezuela, Francisco Miranda in it, was Catherine II. A special feature of the palace is a beautiful parquet floor made of valuable tree species. During the World War I, Empress Maria Fedorivna supervised the accommodation of wounded soldiers, placing them in the palace. Here in the palace she learned about the abdication of her son Nicholas II. Today the palace is the ceremonial residence of the President of Ukraine. The Mariinsky Palace is closed for tourists.
X Lutheranska Street – is located in the centre of the capital, where the local aristocrats once lived. This street appeared on the map in 1830 and was called the German Mountain, Grafska Street, Lutheranska Street, and in 1864 – Annenkovska Street, but the name did not take root and it was also called Luteranska Street in honour of the constructed Lutheran Church of St. Catherine in 1857, which was built by German colonists. The street was heavily burnt during the war, and many buildings on it had to be restored. The first houses disappeared forever, therefore the numbering begins with houses №3,4. Near Lutheranska Street, 18 there are two hatches with the inscription “Government telephone”, laid in the 1890s, when carrying out the government tsarist connection. There is still an old paving stone along Lutheranska Street. Appearing on the maps of Kyiv at the beginning of the 19th century, the street till to the present day has secured the status of elite and aristocratic, and there are many interesting houses on it.
X Rachel Maikapar’s Profitable House – is a monument of architecture of the beginning of 20th century, one of the main sights of the Lutheranska Street, executed in a combination of Modern, Neo-Renaissance and Neo-Baroque. The house was built in 1905 and was the most luxurious of the three houses of the city manor of the Kyiv merchant Rachel Maikapar. The whole complex consisted of profitable houses. Today this is apartment house with offices and boutiques. Its pink and white facade is decorated with exquisite columns, cornices and bas-reliefs. The main decoration of the house are the figures of the Atlanteans, which are set above the central portal.
X The building of the charitable society “Sulymivka” – is a house on Lutheranska, 16, was built in the period of 1833-1835 in the style of classicism on the order of Akim Sulim (a relative of Hetman Ivan Sulima) – a military man, a landowner and a mason. Sulima planned to use the house as a family manor. But suddenly died, and the house was transferred by the wife of Sulim to charity in 1859 for creation an alms-house. In such a way was opened the charity department, nicknamed by the people “Sulimovka”, in which lived elderly and the poor people. At this department, there was also a dining room for the poor people. In 1866, next to the building was built Olexander Nevsky Church, but it didn’t survive to this day. In 1919, “Sulimovka” was closed, and the building was adapted for communal apartments. Today the house is a monument of history and architecture, and various institutions are located in the building.
X The house of a weeping widow is a two-story brick mansion, which was built in the modern style at Lutheranska, 23 and is known as the house of a weeping widow. It was built in 1907 for the family of merchant Sergiy Arshavskyi, as evidenced the monogram “SA” above the window. The building has 4 facades and each of them has its own solution. When the house was done, Arshavsky had to put up the second floor for lease in order to pay off his debts. He and his family lived in the mansion until 1913. Later the house was sold to the Kyiv merchant of the 1st Guild Tevye Apstein. In 1918, the mansion was nationalized, and after the war and until today the house is used by government structures. The building received its name because of the huge female mascaron-portrait on the facade. When it’s raining, it seems that tears are dropping from her eyes. It is worth noting that the face of a woman is crowned with chestnut leaves that diverge from one point in the forehead as the place of the “third eye”, so, the ajna chakras (the ability to foresee the future). This is like a version of the fact that the image could be gleaned from the popular in those days esotericism. In fact, there is no exact version, whose female face has decorated this mansion.
X Lutheran Church – Lutheranska Street, 22, was laid in 1812. It was built with the money of church headmen who laid their own houses, and a few years later an organ was bought for the church. According to historical data, the interior of the church was distinguished by unusual brightness and simplicity, the face of the apostle Paul and the portrait of M. Luther adorned the church. The modern building of the church in the Gothic style was laid in 1855, without changing the original features. The church was famous for its extraordinary acoustics. Near the church was established Lutheran College, in which classes were conducted in German. The Lutheran church gave its name to the street. With the advent of Soviet power in 1937, the church was closed and a warehouse was placed there. And after more than 30 years, the building of the church was transferred to the Directorate of the State Museum of Folk Architecture and Life. And only in the late 1990s the building of the church was returned to the Lutherans. Ростовщики на липках
X Instytutska Street – is one of the central streets of the capital, was founded at the end of the XVIII century and was called Ivanivska. At the beginning of the XIX century the street was renamed Begicheska Street in honour of General Begichev, whose luxurious mansion was situated at the beginning of the street. In 1842 in the manor of the general was built and opened the Institute of Noble Maidens (now the International Centre for Culture and Arts), after that the street was named Instytutska. The street was considered a financial centre, because there was the central bank, the first building of the exchange and various lending institutions. It was on this street that the first skyscraper in 11 floors was built – it was the profitable house of Ginsburg. Today, on the site of a profitable house is located the hotel “Ukraine”. At the Instytutska, 8 lived a merchant of the First Guild, a sugar manufacturer, one of the richest people in Kyiv Simha Lieberman.
X The National Bank of Ukraine is a building at the Instytutska, 9, which was made in the Venetian style, one of the most beautiful buildings of the city and preserved to this day. At the place of the National Bank was previously the Office of the State Commercial Bank, built in 1839. The current building of the NBU was erected in the period of 1902-1905. The lining of the house is made by the famous Italian sculptor Elio Sal. He also performed artworks inside the bank. The uniqueness of the construction of the NBU building lie in equipping with modern technologies at that time: central steam heating, electric lighting, a double ventilation system with a capacity of 18 horsepower. In the period of1933-1934 the building was constructed 2 more floors. During the Soviet era, the bank housed by the Ukrainian Republican Office of the State Bank of the USSR and the City Office of the State Bank of the USSR. So far, the emblems of the Kyiv, Podil and Volyn provinces have been preserved, the Archangel Michael with a raised sword is depicted on the Kyiv coat of arms. The facade of the building of the National Bank of Ukraine is made in the style of the early Florentine Renaissance and the North-Italian Gothic.
X In 1838-1848 the former Institute of Noble Maidens was built at the place of the Major-General Begichev’s manor in the style of late classicism, as an educational institution for girls from noble and merchant families, where they were taught different sciences. This was the first institution for women at that time. In 1919 the institute was closed down and military units, state institutions, and the Kyiv Emergency Commission were placed here. In the 1930s the house became a place of repression where executions were carried out. According to the estimates of historians, more than 100,000 people were killed in the walls of the building. During the World War II, the building was destroyed and restored only in 1958. There was opened the October Palace, which became one of the cultural centres. Today here locates the International Centre for Culture and Arts.
X Bankova Street – originated in the 1870’s at the place of the former estate of Governor-General Fyodor Trepov. The street takes its name from the proximity to the building of the former Kyiv Office of the State Bank of the Russian Empire. At the same time, the street was known under the names of Tsaredarska and Trepovska. In 1919, was renamed the Komunistychna, in 1938 – in honour of the party figure Ordzhonikidze, and since 1992 the street has its own historical name. Before the revolution there were mansions of noble persons, some buildings have preserved to the present day. The main attraction of the street is the famous House with Chimaeras (Bankova, 10) – the former mansion of the architect Gorodetsky. After the revolution, Bankova became the main street of Kyiv party structures. Today the streets are occupied by the services of the presidential administration of Ukraine.
X The House with Chimaeras – shrouded in legends and myths, was built in the period of 1902-1903 by the famous architect Gorodetsky and it is his best creation. This was the first house in Kyiv, which was built from expensive cement at that time. For erecting a house with chimaeras, Gorodetsky bought a site-a cliff on the bank of a drained bog, forbidden to construction by the authorities. That’s why from the side of Bankova mansion has 3 floors, and from the other side – 6. The facade of the building is decorated with figures of unusual creatures: dolphins and sea reptiles, crocodiles and lizards, huge frogs and heads of rhinoceroses, and other animals. Initially, the house was built, as profitable. One floor was occupied by Gorodetsky himself. And near the house there was an alpine hill with a fountain and a small garden. The interior decoration of the mansion is also rich in mouldings, paintings, which depicts the underwater world. Between the 4th and 5th floors on the stairs installed an electric lamp in the form of a giant catfish. In 1912 Gorodetsky laid his mansion and could not return it. Now there are guided tours by appointment.
X Lieberman’s mansion is a house on Bankova Street, 2, called the Gingerbread house, was built in 1879 on the order of the former mayor of St. Petersburg, Fyodor Trepov. In 1896 it was redeemed by the sugar manufacturer Simha Lieberman, who rebuilt the house, making from it a rich bourgeois palace-mansion. Interestingly that in one of the rooms in the house, Lieberman asked to make a sliding ceiling, so that once a year during the Jewish holiday of Sukkot he can pray in the open air according to the Jewish canons. In Soviet times, the original ceiling was sealed. After 1917 here were located various military headquarters, the Soviet People’s Commissariat of the republic, the city house of propaganda and agitation named after I. Stalin. Nowadays, the National Union of Writers of Ukraine is located in Lieberman’s house.
X Shovkovychna Street – earlier called the Aptekarska, as on this street was located one of the first city pharmacies. At the beginning of the XIX century because of the redevelopment of the Lypky district, the street was paved again. Before the redevelopment in this area there was a garden, which was cut down for street laying. Later, the street was named Levashovska in honour of Governor-General V. Levashov, and in the Soviet times – Karl Liebknecht Street. During the German occupation, they called it Horst-Wesselstrasse. She became Shovkovychna Street from the beginning of the 1990s. On this street you can meet many beautiful houses with famous rich people of that time. In some houses were shot popular Soviet films. Today the street is one of the most prestigious and elite..
X The “Chocolate house” at the Shovkovychna Street 17/2 was built in 1901. The name “Chocolate house” was received because of the characteristic chocolate colour. It was built for the merchant of the first guild of Semen Mogilevtsev. During the Soviet era, the house was the central registry office in Kyiv. The building was constructed in the style of the Italian Renaissance and has a special architectural and artistic value. Today there is a branch of the Museum of Russian Art. Visiting the “Chocolate House” you can see the murals of walls and ceilings, decorated with rich moulding and gilding, carved wooden doors and windows, coloured stained-glass windows and forged fences.
X Kovalevskyi Mansion is a building in the Romanesque style, similar to a medieval castle, was built in 1913 on the order of the outward Adviser for Special Assignments at the Kyiv governor-general, Mykola Kovalevskyi. The mansion had its own patio with a fountain and a garden, on the ground floor was a wine-cellar. The mansion has a faceted tower with a dome that hides the building at the angle of 78 degrees, under which the streets adjoin to each other. The drainpipes of the house are hidden in its wall so that their shadow visually does not break the facade, in the house was carried out the heating, and all the floors were connected by an elevator. The bas-relief depicts an architect in the image of a cat. During the Soviet period, various institutions were located here. Today the building is listed on the balance of the administration of the President of Ukraine.
X Kropyvnytskogo Street – originated in the early XX century under the name of New Street. In the period of 1938-1958 it had the name of Militia Lane. From 1958 until today it is named after the actor M.L. Kropyvnytskyi. Along the street there are building constructions of different eras and styles. Houses No. 4, 6, 14 were apartment houses in the beginning of the XX century, houses No. 1, 3, 12, 16, 18 – “stalinki” of the 1950s. Houses number 8, 10 are modern elite buildings in Kyiv..
X Klovsky Palace was built in 1756 in the style of the Ukrainian Baroque, is located on the Pylyp Orlyk Street. Initially it was intended for representatives of tsarist family names, who would visit the Kyiv Pechersk Lavra. But the palace has never been used for its intended purpose. Later a decorative park was laying near the palace.Until 1863 the building was two-storey, later was built the third floor. During the time of existence of the palace here was located the Lavra printing house, after – the military hospital, and then – the First Men’s Gymnasium. Until 1917 there was a women’s spiritual college in the palace. The palace was destroyed during the Civil War, and was restored in 1930. Since 1982, here was opened the Museum of the History of Kyiv, and since 2003 it is the seat of the Supreme Court of Ukraine. According to the one of the versions of the name of the Lypky district – is a lime grove planted near Klovsky Palace with alleys that led with picturesque paths to the Dnipro banks and which were demolished due to the streets’ redevelopment of this district.
X Lypska Street – is originated in the early XIX century and takes its name from the lime avenue, which at that time stretched from the Klovsky palace to the Dnipro banks. But it was demolished due to the streets’ redevelopment of this area. In the period of 1869-1919 it was called Katerynenska Street, in 1919 -1993 Rose Luxembourg Street. And the historical name was returned to it only after Ukraine has gained the independence. The decoration of the street is Klovsky palace (XVIII century). The street at the turn of the XIX-XX centuries was the street of mansions and state institutions. The buildings were mostly two-storey, the estates had land plots on which there were also wings, and stables, gardens with fountains. The street includes houses of different periods, which were built in the style of historicism and modernism. There are houses of Soviet construction. On the street were also the mansions of sugar magnates such as M. Zaks and L. Brodsky, and later the masion of Countess Uvarova, there was also the estate of the famous doctor H. Bunge. After the revolution all the mansions were nationalized. Lypska mansions are the real monuments of architecture.
X Darwin Street was laid in 1910-1913 years through the estates of the Kyivans, namely Stefanovych, Magerovskyi, Hanka, Svystunova and at their request in 1913 was named Novolevashovska (adjoins to the Levashovska Street, named in honour of Governor-General V.V. Levashov). From 1938 the street is called the modern name in honour of the English scientist Charles Darwin. The buildings of the street date back to the 1930s.
X The Kruty Descent – is a descent in the heart of the capital, connecting the districts of Bessarabka and Lypky, originated in the early XIX century and was known as the Pashchenko Descent in honour of the burgher – the proprietor. The modern name descent received in 1869. It should be noted the most significant mansions on this descent. House number 4 was built in 1846 in the style of classicism. It is one of a few preserved examples of Kyiv wooden architecture of the XIX century. The building on the corner of the descent and the Kruglouniversytetska Street (No. 2/1 on it) is a model of constructivist architecture, which was built in 1937 for NKVD employees and popularly called the “Militia”. Today, the driving pass of the Kruty Descent is 180 m – this is the shortest descent in the city. But if you count the descent with stairs, then its length will be approximately 260 m (the same length has Borychev Descent on the Podol)..
X Baron Ikskyul von Hildenbandt’s Profitable house was built in 1902 in the Neo-Gothic style. The house belonged to the family of Baron Ikskyul von Hildenband, an ancient German family, originating from the Bremen Archbishopric. On the facade of the house you can see his family coat of arms. Some of the apartments in the house were rented out. Originally the mansion had gothic wooden spires, which were burned during the World War II. In the 2000’s the overhaul of the building was made on the money of a private company. Today a private company is located in the building. At one time there lived a poet and literary critic Mykola Bazhan. The house of Ikskul- Hildenbandt was often called the house of the baron, although in reality s already exists the house of Baron Steingel in Kyiv, which is located on Yaroslavyi Val.
X Kruglouniversytetska Street was laid in 1837 and was first mentioned as Universytetska Street or Universytetsky Descent. The purpose of laying a street is to connect the building of Kyiv University with the building on the Volodymyrska Street. In the documents of 1869 the street is described as a street of “two semicircles”, from which came the name Kruglouniversytetska Street. Partially the buildings of the XIX century were preserved along the street – these are the former profitable houses and mansions. In 1906 the poetess Anna Akhmatova lived in one of such buildings. Buildings on Kruglouniversytetska Street No. 8, 10, 12 previously belonged to the estate owned by Akim Sulyma, a native of the old Ukrainian family and a descendant of Hetman I.Sulyma. Nowadays, the street with an unusual trajectory of traffic become the decoration of the capital.
X Olgynska Street appeared in the late XIX century after the redevelopment of the Kyiv professor Mehring’s estate. It named after the Princess Olga, in 1938 it was renamed in honour of the poet V. Mayakovskyi. The historical name was returned only in the mid-1980s. At the beginning of the street in the house at 2/1 lived a famous Ukrainian actor Mykola Yakovchenko, whom was installed a monument in the public garden near the Franko theatre, as well as the founder of the theatre Gnat Yura, whom in the public garden was installed a monument in the image of soldier Svejk. The house at 1/17 was built in 1909 for the engineer Vsevolod Demchenko, who was better-known in the city as the principal “pavers”. In wartime it was destroyed and rebuilt in the middle of the XX century. In Soviet times the theatre actors lived in it.
X The Franko Theater was founded in 1898 on the Mykolaivska Square (now Franko Square), which appeared at the place of a covered pond, which was located in the estate of the Kyiv professor Mehring. Professor Mehring was the richest doctor in the empire and had a million fortune. Having been arrived from the Saxony at the age of 20, he became a doctor, being able to make money on the purchase of a huge amount of land in Kyiv. He was nicknamed “the owner of Bankova,” since he owned the estate there, which was later rebuilt into the Bankova Street. An interesting fact is the existence of an underground spring, which once filled up the lake with water, and now is located behind the scenes of the theatre under the stage. In 1926 the building of the theatre became a permanent stage for the theatre troupe named after Franko. The tangible contribution to the uniqueness of the creative style was made by Gnat Yura, who was the head of the theatre in the period of 1920-1966. From 2002 to 2012 the theatre was headed by People’s Artist of Ukraine Bogdan Stupka. Today in the theatre play such well-known actors as B. Benyuk, A. Khostykoyev, N. Sumska, O. Stupka..
X Ivan Franko Square was designed at the place of a covered pond in the estate of Kyiv University professor Friedrich Mehring and was equipped with necessary facilities on it in the period of 1897-1898. Initially, the square was named the Mykolaivska Square. In the years 1919-1941 it was renamed the Spartacus Square, during the war period – Schlefer Square. The current name Ivan Franko Square is called from 1944. The main building of the square is the Franko Theatre. The decoration of the square is a small public garden with a fountain in the centre. Also you can see the monument to the famous actor of the theatre and cinema Mykola Yakovchenko, the bust of Ivan Franko and the monument to the founder of the Franko Theatre – Gnata Jura, which is represented in the image of soldier Svejk. The Kievites called this part of the city “Kiev’s Paris”.
X Gorodetskogo Street – originated in 1895. Initially, the street was called Mykolaivska, in honour of the Russian Emperor Nicholas II. In Soviet times, the street was renamed in honour of Karl Marx and this name was kept to 1996, after which the street was named Gorodetskogo Street. Guests of the capital compared the street to Montmartre and small Florence. The Kievites called this part of the city “Kyiv’s Paris”. There were outstanding personalities: Osip Mandelstam, Fyodor Shalyapin and Sarah Bernard. At the place of the current cinema “Ukraine” was previously built a circus, which was blew up during the fascist occupation of Kyiv. Famous artists acted under the dome of the Krutikov Circus, and Fyodor Shalyapin sang himself. And in 1918, here was elected the hetman of the Ukrainian State Pavlo Skoropadskyi
X Zankovetska Street – originated in the 1890s instead of the former estate of the Kyiv University professor Friedrich Mehring and was called Mehringovska Street, in 1933 – Firdausi Street, in honour of the Iranian literature classic, and a decade later – in honour of the actress Maria Zankovetska. The House №4, which was decorated with stone heads of lions, was built in 1914 as a profitable house of the insurance company “Russia”. In wartime the house was damaged, but later was restored. Here lived the famous opera singer Ivan Patorzhynskyi. House №5/2 was built in the 1930s and belonged to the cooperative “Soviet Doctor”. Here lived the poetess Natalia Zabila, writer Yuri Smolych. In the house №6 lived collector-numismatist Volodymyr Boguslavskyi, the creator of the reference book “The whole Kyiv”. In the house №7 lived for a while poetess Anna Akhmatova and writer Dmytro Pryljuk. The mansion under №10/7 was built in 1901. Initially a 4-storey apartment house was built for the merchant Mykola Falberg, a well-known proprietor.
X Grushevskogo Street is one of the central streets of the capital, begins from the European Square and serving as the boundary of the historic Lypky district. It appeared along the Ivanivska road, known even in the times of Kievan Rus, and began to be built in the middle of the XVIII century. Until 1919 the street was called Olexandrivska Street and stretched to Kontraktova Square (including the current Volodymyrsky descent and Sagaidachnyi Street), connecting the Pechersk district and Podol district. In 1919, it was renamed the Revolution Street, and in 1934 it was divided into three parts, one of which since 1991 is named after the historian and political figure – Mykhailo Grushevskyi. The street is rich in architectural monuments that preserved to this day, namely the Mariinsky Palace, the National Art Museum of Ukraine, the building of the Verkhovna Rada, etc.
X The National Art Museum of Ukraine is the largest museum of Ukraine, which has collected masterpieces of Ukrainian and foreign paintings, sculptures and graphics, dating back to the times of Kievan Rus. Also in the museum there is a huge collection of icon-painting. Today the collection of the museum amounts 40 thousand exhibits. It was founded by the Ukrainian intellectuals in 1899 as the City Museum of Antiques and Arts. The building of the museum was built by the outstanding architect Gorodetsky, and the sculptural design belongs to the Italian E. Sal. The facade of the building is decorated with columns in the ancient Greek style, and before the entrance majestically were placed statues of lions. Since 1904 the museum is open to visitors. Today the museum often hosts exhibitions of contemporary artists.