Bila Tserkva – is a city in 90 km from Kyiv, founded by Yaroslav the Wise as a fortress for protection from nomads. The main attraction of the city is a landscape park arrangement of plants, architectural structures, sculptures and ponds. It is one of the largest parks in Eastern Europe. The park was founded in the late 18th century by Alexandra Engelhardt, wife of the Polish hetman Franciszek Branicki and the niece of Prince Potemkin, and named after her. The author of the development plan is the French architect Myuffo. Trees from Europe and the world were brought here to equip the park. In the middle of the nineteenth century the park has become more famous. He was visited by poets and artists, as well as members of the royal family.
A huge damage to the park was caused at the beginning of the Soviet power arrival and during the World War II. Since 1946 began the restoration of the park. In 1953, the park was handed over to the scientific and methodical leadership of the Central Republican Botanical Garden of the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian SSR. In 1955 was developed a project for the restoration and development of the park. Today in the park area of more than 200 hectares are 25 reservoirs, 2500 plant species, including from South America, Japan and China. The main architectural structures are the colonnade “Echo”, “Chinese bridge” and “Ruins”. Every year thousands of tourists come here to enjoy the beauty of the arboretum.
Pereyaslav-Khmelnytsky – the ancient city of Kyivan Rus, called Pereyaslavl, which means “took over the glory.” The city was first mentioned in 907, becoming from the XI century the capital of the Pereyaslavl principality. Current name the city bears since 1943 and is part of the Kyiv region (90 km from Kyiv). In due time there lived Taras Shevchenko, Hryhorii Skovoroda, Sholom-Aleikhem, etc. Pereyaslav-Khmelnytsky entices tourists not only with ancient history.
This is the only city in Ukraine, declared a city-museum. Here today amounts 27 museums (!). The main attraction of the city is the Museum of Folk Architecture and Life of the Middle Dnieper. This is an open-air museum (area – 30 hectares), which represents Ukrainian life from the times of Kyivan Rus to the turn of the XIX-XX centuries. Here you can see dwellings, tools and household items of settlements of the Ukrainian steppe. Here are also represented houses of a peasant, a priest, a potter and even the house of a sorcerer. In addition, there are 13 thematic museums at the territory.
Bohuslav – a small regional town in 120 km from Kyiv, located on the rocky banks of the river Ros. It was founded in 1032 by Prince of Kyiv Yaroslav the Wise, although the first mention occurs in 1195 in the annals as a fortress of the Poros line of Bohuslavl, built to protect the southern outskirts of Kyivan Rus. Throughout its history, the city was part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, Poland, and from 1796 became the centre of the Bohuslavsky county of the Kyiv province.
With this city are connected not only historical events, but also famous personalities. Here the Olympic champion A. Tymoshenko was born, the actress N. Cherednichenko, the American politician Herman Tol. In due time M. Gogol, T. Shevchenko, Sholom-Aleichem visited Bohuslav. This picturesque region attracts tourists and nature lovers, because it is here that such a wonder of nature is located – Bohuslavsky granite outcrop – a geological monument of nature from granite rocks up to 10-12 m in height and up to 1.5 km long. The canyon, formed from red and gray granite, is popularly called a place of power. It is believed that red granite charges a person with positive energy and helps with various diseases.
Ancient Bohuslav preserved for us some historical buildings, the oldest of which is the so-called “Kamenytsia” – a two-storied building of the XVIII century, built for the Jewish religious school. It is noteworthy that the thickness of the walls of this building reaches 1.2 m, and inside it there are deep cellars. Also in the city there are museums devoted to cultural figures – namely, the house-museum of the artist Soshenko and the estate-museum of Ukrainian writer Marco Vovchok. In 30 km from Bohuslav in the village of Medvyn is another place of power – the Mount Totokha, comparable in energy to Tibet. Explore the mound and “recharge” come from all corners of Ukraine and from abroad.
Buky – a small village in the Kyiv region (115 km from Kyiv), which became famous due to the landscape park founded here in 1996. The park was created on the initiative and on the funds of businessman I.Suslov. The park is interesting due to its unusual design: sculptures, fountains, arbours, a church with a chapel, and even a mini-zoo where live bear cubs, deer, ponies, etc. You can also see the famous fountain- roulette in Kyiv, which was located at the Independence Square till reconstruction of the main square of the capital. The trademark of the landscape park became the “Glade of Fairy Tales” with figures of fairy-tale heroes. On the territory of the park there is also the estate of businessman I.Suslov. So, walking in the park, you can see the very founder of this unique landscape park. The park is open for visitors during the warm season, the entrance to the park is free. Here also conduct excursions.
Rzhyshchiv – a city in Kyiv region (76 km from Kyiv). The first settlements on the site of the current city date back to the VI-III millennium BC. Written mentions of the area were first encountered in 1151. The main attraction of Rzhyshchiv is the archaeological finds of the Trypillia culture period. The city founded Trypillia Park, which became the symbol of Rzhyshchiv. The ethno-festival Trypillia Circle is annually held here. Also a historical site has got an ancient Rus settlement on Ivan Mountain, where household items of the 12th-13th centuries were found. Among the architectural monuments, the Trinity Church, the House of the Priest (the former building of the Order of the Trinitarians), and the Transfiguration Monastery (1626, one of the oldest ones in Ukraine) also preserved. Near Rzhyshchiv, in the Gusintsy tract, there is a unique Transfiguration Church (1812), partially flooded due to the construction of the Kanevsky reservoir. The church is located on an island with a bridge leading from the shore. In summer, you can get here by boat.
Prypiyat – a ghost town. After the accident at the Chornobyl nuclear power plant it is located in the exclusion zone (180 km from Kyiv). It was founded in 1970 for the Chernobyl NPP personnel, which was launched in 1984. In 1986, the largest technological accident in history occurred at the Chornobyl nuclear power plant, which resulted in radiation pollution of the territories. A protective sarcophagus was built over the destroyed power unit. In Prypiat, there are several objects, including Checkpoint at the entrance to the city. Today it is a deserted city with abandoned buildings of the Soviet period. Nowadays, Prypiat is a popular place among stalkers and industrial tourism lovers. Organized excursions will take you here from Kyiv.
Choornobyl – has been a closed exclusion zone since 1986 (140 km from Kyiv). A city with a long history is known all over the world because of the global catastrophe that happened here. In the early 1970s, construction of the first nuclear power plant in Ukraine, the Chornobyl NPP, began 10 km from the city. In 1986, an explosion occurred at the 4th power unit, causing a major accident. Today, Chornobyl is among the ten most polluted cities in the world. In 2010-2011 a memorial complex was erected here in memory of the Chornobyl accident. In 2019, the British-American mini-series Chornobyl was released, dedicated to the events that happened at the Chornobyl nuclear power plant. After the release of the series, the Chornobyl zone became mega popular among tourists from different countries. You can get into the exclusion zone from Kyiv.