1. “Ostannja Barikada” – a restaurant full of symbols and meanings, which unite the art platform, the museum of Ukrainian revolutions, a shop with books and souvenirs. The restaurant kept the tradition of the eponymous art cafe, founded in the 2000s by O. Donia. The aim of the restaurant is – to popularize the national culture, to become a place for discussing cultural initiatives, meetings and communication, who share values such as freedom, respect and tolerance.
The interior of the restaurant organically incorporates historical artifacts of the modern history of Ukraine – the symbols of three Ukrainian revolutions: the Revolution on Granite, the Orange Revolution and the Revolution of Virtue. This is the first modern Ukrainian gastronomy: a huge collection of Ukrainian farmer cheeses and professional fermentation, a collection of freshly baked bread and an incredible amount of meat specialties cooked for authentic recipes, Black Sea fish and seafood. Also, the restaurant boasts a collection of top-quality domestic alcohol – Ukrainian wines, distillates, vodka and kraft beer.
There is no foreign alcohol. This is the place where you can hold meetings, visit music and poetry evenings, present cultural and social projects. Password: “Fight and you will overcome!” The restaurant is located in the shopping center “Globus”. Average bill: 400-600 UAH per person.
2. “O’Panas” – a folklore restaurant of Ukrainian cuisine, located in the Shevchenko Park. The restaurant will please guests who want to get acquainted with the Ukrainian gastronomic traditions. The institution is built in the form of a wooden hut with a mill wheel and large panoramic windows. The interior is made in a folk style, and in the centre of the hall is a living tree! The menu of the restaurant will offer the most favourite national dishes prepared according to home and ancient recipes, as well as game dishes and European dishes.
The atmosphere is complemented by the national costumes of waiters and background folk music. There are VIP-halls where you can retire for a business meeting or a romantic dinner. Every weekend, folk song ensembles perform in the restaurant. Average bill: 500-600 UAH per person.
3. “Spotykach” – restaurant, located in a quiet place near the Sofia Square, which takes guests in the Soviet era of the capital. The interior of the restaurant is decorated in the style of the 1960s – the walls are decorated with Soviet advertising posters, photographs of actors and politicians of that time.
The menu of the restaurant offers popular dishes in Soviet times: Kyiv borsch, cabbage rolls, potato pancakes, chicken Kyiv, homemade sausages, varenyky, hot dishes from fish, meat and poultry, which are served with more than six types of sauces. Retro restaurant invites everyone to plunge into the Soviet atmosphere of the capital. Average bill: 400-600 UAH per person.
4. “Terrace” – a restaurant located on the roof of the boutique hotel “Vozdvyzhensky”. The highlight of the restaurant is the panoramic terrace overlooking the Podil and the terrace garden. Gastronomic menu of the restaurant offers to taste delicious dishes of European and Ukrainian cuisine made from Ukrainian farm products. The dishes cooked on the eco-grill “Molteni”, the only pottery in the capital, are very popular. In the restaurant you can hold both solemn events, business meetings and romantic evenings. Average bill: 400-600 UAH per person.
5. “Tsarske Selo” – the first restaurant in Kyiv with national cuisine, which was opened for guests since 1998. It is located in a historic building where the former powder cellar of the Pechersk Fortress was formerly located. It is one of the best restaurants in the capital. The interior and exterior of the restaurant will take guests to the Ukrainian village of the XVIII century.
The dishes here are prepared according to ancient recipes, preserving their historical names. The most popular dishes include borsch with pampushkas and varenyky with cherries. In the evenings, live folk music plays in the restaurant. “Tsarske Selo” is a favourite place for foreign tourists. Average bill: 800-1000 UAH per person.
6. “Atmosphere” – an open-air restaurant located on the roof of the five-star Premier Palace Hotel. It should be noted that the hotel opened in 1912, and the building itself is an architectural monument and one of the sights of the capital. The restaurant “Atmosphere” presents the author’s and hospice menus. Exquisite dishes will surprise the most demanding client.
The restaurant will surprise not only with its menu, but also panoramic views – from here you can see the centre of the capital, Shevchenko Boulevard and NSC Olimpiyskyi – the main Ukrainian sports arena. For a pleasant pastime, DJ plays here from Thursday to Sunday. The restaurant works exclusively in the warm season. “Atmosphere” is an ideal place for a beautiful evening. Average bill: 700-900 UAH per person.
7. “Musafir” – one of the new cafes-restaurants, which immediately became popular among local residents. The restaurant with the Crimean Tatar cuisine was opened by the settlers from the Crimea – the Seyitveliev family. The menu presents traditional dishes of Tatar cuisine – chebureks, yantyks, manty, kebab and, of course, pilaf. Special attention should be paid to coffee, the preparation and serving of which has a certain ceremony here.
And the Crimean sweets will not leave indifferent even those who are not a lover of sweet. The interior of the institution presents an old Crimean-Tatar house, the walls whitewashed with lime are decorated with carpets. In the evenings live music is played. Musafir became not only a favourite place among the citizens, but also the centre of meetings of Ukrainian Tatars. Average bill: 200-300 UAH per person.
8.“Fish Market” – one of the best fish restaurants, located in the centre of the capital, next to the Sofia Square. The menu features European and Mediterranean cuisine. Entering the restaurant, in the centre of the hall you can see a showcase with seafood dishes laid out on the ice.
You can choose any seafood you like, as well as the way in which it will be cooked for you. Sea delicacies are brought from countries such as Norway, France, Spain. The most popular dishes are an octopus with grilled tomatoes and a plateau with Dorado. The restaurant has its own dairy farm, which allows you to make products of your own production. Average bill: 800-1000 UAH per person.
9.“Odessa” – one of the few restaurants of European cuisine, succeeded to make a statement on the pages of the London “Wall paper”, appreciated the original design of the interior. The “feature” of the institution is innovation, uniqueness, the atmosphere. The menu contains only author’s and gastronomic dishes created by the principle of complex combinations of ingredients in non-standard presentation.
Due to its special atmosphere, original serving and taste combinations, the restaurant has become a must-see place. This place is liked to visit by the celebrities of Ukrainian show business, politicians, and simply connoisseurs of exquisite gastronomy. Average bill: 800-1000 UAH per person.
10.“Kanapa” – a restaurant-salon of new Ukrainian cuisine of European quality, located on Andriivsky Descent. It was opened by the famous restaurateur Dmytro Borysov and musician Oleg Skrypka. The menu includes dishes prepared according to pre-revolutionary recipes. There are also modern interpretations of popular recipes based on molecular kitchen technologies.
The institution itself is located in a wooden building of the XIX century with a facade decorated with carvings. The interior of the restaurant is decorated in a bourgeois style – wooden tables, red leather sofas, antique furniture, on the walls – paintings of Ukrainian artists. In the evenings live avant-garde music plays. There is a summer terrace with panoramic windows, from where opens a beautiful view of Podil. Average bill: 600-800 UAH per person.