HAVE A FUN WITH GUIDE-COMMITTEE IF YOU DON'T KNOW CITY!
Price from 25 $/hour
On the outskirts of Kiev
Clicking on the lens, you can see the photo and the description of the route elements.
Map of Kiev and suburbs
There are a lot of landmarks on the outskirts of Kyiv. Some of them have ancient history: Kytaevo – in X century a fortress was built there, cave cells, remains of fortifications and cemetery have survived to this day; Holosiivo – first mentioned in 1541, then the territory belonged to Kyivo-Pecherska Lavra, Feofania – first mentioned in the Chronicles as Lazarevschina in 1471, later belonged to St. Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery, where cells, the metropolitan house, the refectory and the houses for pilgrims were built; Pushcha-Voditsa – known since the days of Kyivan Rus, where the royal hunting took place, the territory is rich in forests, lakes, rivers, which favored the development of sanatorium resorts; Koncha – Zaspa is famous for its great location, beautiful nature with access to the Dnipro River, first mentioned in the XVI, later belonged to Vydubetsky and Vvedensky monasteries.
Some of the landmarks on the outskirts of Kyiv are of a cultural and entertaining nature: Pyrogovo museum is the home to the biggest collection of constructions of all ethnic regions of Ukraine, also one can learn more about national customs and traditions; the “Kyivan Rus” park is devoted to the reconstruction of the detinets (the city of Volodymir) in its true size of the 11th-13th centuries, knight tournaments are held, ancient Slavic holidays are celebrated; Mezhyhirye – had an ancient monastery of the XIV century on its territory, the remains of which were demolished in 1935 for construction of the government suburban residence, now this place is called a symbol of corruption because of the extraordinary sumptuousness of buildings and the natural landscape.
One can visit the “12 months” zoo and spend time with the animals at arm’s length and even feed or pet them. All shopping lovers can visit the town “Manufactura” where a lot of famous brands are presented, offering a permanent discount of 70%. Admirers of exhibitions and festivals can visit the National Complex “Expocenter of Ukraine”. Who wants to warm up can visit the Kyiv Hippodrome and ride horses, water sports lovers can go to the Kyiv Sea, where one can do wind and kite surfing. Aesthetics lovers can go to the oldest factory of Christmas-tree toys, where a rich collection of toys from around the world is collected.
X The open-air museum “Pyrogovo” is an ethnographic museum of folk architecture and mode of life, the largest in Ukraine. This is an architectural and landscape complex, founded in 1969, where the history of all ethnographic regions of Ukraine is collected. The dwellings of Poltavschyna, Prydniprovyie, Kyivschyna and Polissya can be seen there. The oldest house shown in museum belongs to the XVI century. The unique feature of the museum is that a lot of houses presented there are original and were brought from many regions of Ukraine and constructed on the museum’s territory. A lot of objects of national mode of life can be seen in those houses – dishes, towels (rushnyk), clothes and household items. Apart from the houses there are also mills, pagan stone idols and Orthodox churches. One can not only learn more about the folk architecture and national mode of life in the museum but about folk traditions as well.
X The “Kyivan Rus” park – a grandiose scientific project designed to recreate the cultural and architectural image of the city of Volodymir or Kyiv’s Detinets in the V-XIII centuries in its historical size of 10 hectares, as well as the recreation of the atmosphere of Kyivan Rus. This project has no analogues in the world. There are entrance gates with watchtowers, the network of roads of Ancient Kyiv, manors of the 11th-12th centuries, commercial shops of artisans of the 11th-13th centuries, and the prince’s court with stands. A collection of horses of historical breeds is also located in the park. Every year there are cultural and historical festivals and championships in ancient sports – medieval tournaments and knight battles. The guests are offered a lot of entertaining activities – throwing knives, archery, horseback riding and participation in ancient Slavic games. In order to fully immerse yourself in the atmosphere of that time, you can rent historical costumes. The park is recognized by national and international organizations.
X Mezhyhirya is a tract located in Novy Petrovtsy village near Kyiv and is known as the former residence of Viktor Yanukovich, occupied by him in 2002-2014. The Spaso-Preobrazhensky Mezhigirsky Monastery of the late 14th century was located on the territory until 1935. In 1935, the monastery was demolished for construction of the government suburban residence. A collection of hand-written books was found during the demolition, presumably from the lost library of Yaroslav the Wise. Since 1935 Mezhyhirya was the state government residence. Since 2002, during the premiership of Viktor Yanukovych, the residence illegally becomes his property, after which the grandiose construction of the complex begins on the territory. Today, this complex of 140 hectares is enclosed by a 5-meter fence, includes a yacht pier, equestrian club, shooting gallery, tennis court, greenhouses, baths, hunting grounds and a zoo. The main landmark is the Honki house, built of eco-friendly wood. There is a lake on the territory, which is filled with water from ten Arthesian wells. Mezhyhirya became a household name, while the place itself became a symbol of corruption. Extraordinary sumptuousness and unparalleled natural scenery can be seen with one’s own eyes with a guided tour every day.
X Manufactura is the first outlet-town, opened in 2013 near Kyiv, in Khodoseevka village. A number of stock stores are designed in the European style of ancient cities. This format of the shopping center is popular in the US and Europe, where first local stores appeared more than a century ago near large textile mills, offering discounted goods to workers. There one can see collections of clothing and accessories from well-known brands with constant discounts from up to 70%. There are also restaurants, cafes and pastry shops, a children’s playground and a special “dad’s area” with Wi-Fi. In addition, there is a mini-hotel in the outlet. Nearby one can find a fitness club, a bowling alley, a shooting range, cinema “Butterfly Country” and a hypermarket.
X “12 months” Zoo – the first private zoo, opened in 2015 where one can not only feed, but also pet animals. It is located near Kyiv, in Demidov village. The main feature is special holes, through which everyone can feed an animal. There are several lakes on the territory of 16 hectares where black swans swim. There is a playground for children and a contact zoo, where children can pet the donkey, lambs and mini-cows. There are also exotic species of animals, one of them is a white blue-eyed Bengal tiger. This breed was bred by man in the 1970s in India. One can also see a white lion, an Asian red wolf, etc.
X The Feofania (Theophany) park is one of the most beautiful parks in Kyiv. This historic area of the Golosiivsky district of the capital was first mentioned in 1471 as Lazarevshchyna, named after the monk-beekeeper Lazar. The modern name of the area exists from 1803 in honour of the abbot of the St. Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery of the vicar Bishop Feofan, who received land in this area for a country cottage. In 1806 Mykhailovska Church and a country residence were built here. Since the 1860’s Feofaniya belonged to the St. Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery, there were built cells for monks, a metropolitan house, a refectory, hotels for pilgrims, a Temple of All Saints. In the period of 1905-1912 the Panteleimon Cathedral was built on the Feofania territory, which today is an architectural monument. In 1919 the monastery lands were nationalized, later – medical institutions, the main astronomical observatory and the field experimental laboratory. Since 2006 the Feofania became the gardening and park complex of NAS of Ukraine “Theophany”. In the park there is a pilgrimage path, on which there are springs, one of them is curative and called “Tears of Our Lady”. The park is rich not only in a natural landscape with unique plants, but also decorated with fountains, cascade of lakes, observation decks, etc.
X St. Panteleimon Monastery is a convent on the territory of Feofania current name is taken on behalf of the Chyhyryn bishop – Feofan, the abbot of the St. Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery, who received a plot for the construction of a summer residence. The main temple of the nunnery was the St. Panteleimon Cathedral, built in the period of 1905-1912 on the territory of the male hermitage, which was attached to the St. Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery. Before the revolution, four temples were built here – the Miracle of the Archangel Michael, All Saints, the Volodymyr Icon of the Mother of God and the Cathedral of St. Panteleimon the Great Martyr. During the World War II the monastery was greatly damaged. In the post-war years, the experimental platforms of the Institute of Mechanics of the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian SSR were located here. The object was referred to the category of higher secrecy. Since 1990 the monastery was given to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
X Kytaiv is a historical place, located in the Golosiivsky district of Kyiv, among the Dnipro hills, covered with forests and washed by lakes, creating a place for the peninsula. The history of Kytaiv begins from 1100, when the city-fortress of Peresechyn was built here. The name presumably comes from the Turkic word “kytai”, denoting a fortification or fortress. According to legend in the XII century here was the fortress-palace of Prince Bogolyubsky nicknamed “Kytai”. On the territory remains burial mounds of X-XIII centuries, fortifications and cave cells of Kievan Rus era. According to the archaeological data, the primary fortifications in Kytaiv appeared in the middle of the 10th century. In the XIV century was founded a cave monastery on the basis of the ancient dungeons in Kytaiv (restored in the 1990s). Kitaiv – is a site of sacred places, where are located miraculous icons, burials and relics of holy monks-ascetics. Besides the relic, Kytaiv attracts the city-dwellers with natural beauty – this is a forest where a chestnut tree grows more than 300 years old (stem – 3,4 m), ponds with wild ducks and baths with holy springs where you can draw holy water.
X Kytaivska hermitage is an Orthodox monastery in Kytaiv, as known as hermitage, which means an Orthodox monastic settlement remote from the main monastery. It was founded in 1716, when the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra decided to build a separate hermitage. At the beginning of the XVIII century Kytaiv has already been a popular pilgrimage place. The hermitage was known for its gardens, vineyard. In 1930, the hermitage was winded out. After the archaeological researches in 1993-1994 were built caves with a length of about 100 m, in which is located the Temple of St. Dositheus. Since 1996 the convent has the status of an independent monastery – the Kytaiv Holy Trinity Monastery. The modern monastery is a complex of buildings, the main of which is the Holy Trinity Temple and the Church of the Holy Twelve Apostles, where the relics of all the twelve holy apostles are collected. Today the monastery is a place of pilgrimage for the Orthodox world.
X The Holosiivskyi Park named after Maksym Rylsky – was founded in 1957, located in the part of the natural forest of Holosiivsky district. From 1964 the park takes the name of the Ukrainian poet Maxym Rylsky, who lived in 1951-1964 next to the park. The main beauty of the park is a cascade of four ponds, which is located along the valley of the Orekhovatka creek. On the lower pond there is a boat station where you can rent a catamaran or a boat. In the park there is a Ferris wheel, various attractions, playgrounds, cafes and restaurants. This is a great place to relax from the city bustle.
X The Holosiivskyi National Nature Park was founded in 2007 with an area of more than 4.5 thousand hectares and it is a protected area. The area itself is historical and called Holosiivo. It is mentioned in 1541 as “Holosiivo”, in 1617 – the Holosiivskyi khutor was mentioned in the description of the boundaries of the landed estates of the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra. Presumably the name “Holosiivo” came from the fact that the forest was planted in a bare place (“bare seed”). In the western part of the forest in the period of 1955-1958 was built VDNH complex, in 1928 in the northern part of the forest there was laid a botanical garden with an area of 47.5 hectares. There is also an astronomical observatory on the territory. Park features include plants listed in the Red Book and valuable trees, for example oaks older than 300 years old. Ponds and lakes with wild ducks, streams flow in the valleys, there are squirrels, badgers, otters and other forest animals- that’s all attach the beauty to the park. A park is for those who love nature and a lot of walking.
X Holosiivska hermitage – is Holy Protection Monastery, hermitage of the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra located in the Holosiivskyi forest. Having built here in the late XVII century The temple of John Sochavskyi, Petro Mogyla founded the suburban hermitage of the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra, later called Holosiivskaya hermitage. The hermitage became the summer residence of the Kyiv Metropolitans. Later the temple was renamed in honour of the icon of the Mother of God, and in 1852 the monastery began to be called the Holy Protection Church. Since 1996 began the construction of new churches and the restoration of the hermitage. So in 2005 the St. Nicholas-Tikhvin Nunnery was built nearby.
X Svyatoshynsky Forest Park is a monument of the landscape art of national importance, which is located in the Svyatoshynsky district of the capital, with an area of 240 hectares. The forest park is a natural massif with a predominance of pines aged 150-180 years. Also there are oaks up to 120 years old. In the forest park grow about 60 species of trees and bushes. Svyatoshyno is a historical place (first mentioned in 1619), from the end of the XIX century it was a dacha settlement on the outskirts of Kyiv, named after the legend in honour of Chernigiv prince Svyatoslav. Another version of the name is associated with the holy forest, which was a favorite place of rest for monks and priests. In Svyatoshynsky forestry there is also a botanical nature monument – the Romanivske bog with an area of 30 hectares, the vegetation of which is listed in the Red Book of Ukraine. It should be noted the largest in the city the Svyatoshynski ponds – a place for rest, bathing and fishing. Here there are natatoril birds, some of which are listed in the Red Book of Ukraine.
X The National Complex “Expocenter of Ukraine” is an international complex specialized in demonstrating the achievements of Ukraine in the field of industry and science. It was opened since 1958 as the Exhibition of Achievements of the National Economy, to this day called local residents – VDNH. Construction of VDNH began in 1952 and was built at the place of a small suburban farm (khutor) Red Inn. At one time, the exhibition was visited by such famous personalities as the Vietnamese leader Ho Chi Minh, the President of France De Gaulle, UN Secretary-General U Thant, the British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and others. There are 17 pavilions on the territory of the complex. It is worth noting the central pavilion was made in the form of a rotunda with 18 columns, the top of the pavilion is decorated with a 25-meter spire. The height of the whole building is 65 m. The complex occupies more than 286 hectares. Today it is a modern cultural centre of all-Ukrainian scale. Every year there hold festivals “Winter Country” and “Gogolfest”. There is a greenhouse. Excursions are organized on the territory.
X Kyiv Hippodrome – was built by the end of the 1960s. The first competitions took place in September 1966. In the 1970s near the hippodrome began to build an ice stadium and the residential community of Teremky. The modern hippodrome is a complex of buildings, which is located on the area of 45 hectares. During the period of work the Kyiv Hippodrome were set 351 records,35 of which are all-Union and 1 absolute. The hippodrome has a capacity up to 400 horses a year, 3 tracks, 10 stables, a competitive field. On this arena man teaches riding, puts to the test trotters, holds competitions, and also gives riding lessons.
X Pushcha-Vodytsia is a historical place. Since 2001 is a part of the Obolonsky district of Kyiv. The name takes from located here the Vodytsia River and a dense forest (“Pushcha”). Since the XI century the area was used by princes for hunting. In 1724 here was created a forestry. And from the end of the XIX century Pushcha-Vodytsia became a dacha settlement, where the city-dwellers drove in the vacation season. Pine forest in 30 thousand hectares and the rivers created good conditions for health improvement in this area, which was the reason for the appearance of sanatoria and rest homes here. And since1904 was launched a tram for the citizens’ convenience to reach Pushcha-Vodytsia from Podil. Also, Pushcha-Vodytskyi Park was laid with an area of 11.73 hectares, in which there are ponds and beaches for recreation. Now Pushcha-Vodytsia is one of the most popular places for recreation of Kyivans. There is a cascade of lakes with comfortable sandy beaches, a station for renting boats and catamarans. Walking here by tram will not only be the longest, but also the most picturesque route, most of which passes through the forest.
X The Kyiv Sea is a reservoir with an area of 922 km? on the Dnipro River to the north of Kyiv, created in 1964-1966 for the construction of a hydroelectric power station in the Vyshgorodsky district. At the end of XIX century at the place of the sea there was a usual bottomland. For the construction of the Kiev Sea, it had to drown 52 villages. The difference in altitude between the reservoir and the distant channel of the Dnipro is used by the Kyiv hydroelectric station for generation the electricity. Its length is about 110 km, and the largest width is 12 km. In summer the water warms up to 20-24 ° C. The reservoir was the last of six large reservoirs on the Dnipro. Along the coast you can fishing, kite surfing, relax on the beach or have a picnic.
X Koncha-Zaspa is a dacha settlement near the Dnipro on the outskirts of Kyiv. The area is mentioned since the XVI century and consists of a picturesque pine forest with access to the Dnipro embankment. The name comes from the local dialects “zaspa (shallow lake, sand-sprinkled, or riverine sleeve) and” koncha “(overgrown with reeds or marshy vegetation, or a semi-dry and sand-strewn former river bed). Presumably occurs from the Dnipro branches located here. Another version – from the name of the tract Koncha and Zaspa farm. Before the revolution, the area with a unique oak grove belonged to the Vydubetsky and Vvedensky monasteries, and partly to the tsar’s family. In Soviet times, Koncha-Zaspa became a closed nature reserve. Here were built departmental sanatoria and government dachas. Today it is an elite suburb where politicians and rich people live.
X Factory of New Year’s tree toys – is the oldest factory in the village of Klavdievo-Tarasovo, founded in 1948 on the basis of a manufactory for glass processing in medicine. It is one of three enterprises in the USSR for the production of New Year’s toys. Most technical processes are still being carried out manually. In 2013 on the factory was opened the first in Ukraine Museum of Christmas toys from all over the world. Also here are presented private collections of toys of the USSR times. There is a unique collection “Santa Hermitage” – an exclusive series of reproductions of world artists on New Year’s balls. At the factory are held guided tours, master classes.