OTHER INTERESTING PLACES ON PECHERSK
Museums and Memorials
Park named after Heydar Aliyev is opened in 2013 and located next to the embassy of Azerbaijan. It is named after the President of Azerbaijan. The exposition includes a cascade fountain, a copy of the wall of Baku fortress, an eastern carpet made of murano glass and ceramics (a copy of “Sheikh Safi” carpet) and a monument of H. Aliyev. In the park there are magnolia, maple, yew, sakura, quince, barberry, dogwood, plum and acacia. Above the fountain there is an emblem of the Shirvanshahs state, which symbolizes the power of the state. The emblem of the Shirvanshahs state depicting two lions and a bull’s head is the ancient heraldic symbol of Baku. The images of lions symbolize fortress walls, and the bull’s head symbolizes the city of Baku. There is a map of Azerbaijan in the park, which is made in the form of flower bed symbolizing the peace and unity of people. The park particularly is beautiful in the evening. It was created as a gift to Kiev inhabitants from the Azerbaijani people for the 90th anniversary of H. Aliyev at the expense of the state corporation of Azerbaijan “Sokar”.
Kyivan Rus Cinema was opened in 1982 in honor of the 1500th anniversary of Kiev. There was Kommunar Cinema in its place before dated 1961. In 1990 the stars of world cinema Lindsay Andersen and Malcolm Mack Dowel were at the British film festival, which was held at the cinema. It is considered to be the largest cinema in Ukraine and one of the largest in Europe. The capacity of the large hall is 1192 seats. The largest screen in Ukraine, that is 26 meter wide and 11 meter high, is also in this cinema.
St. Cyril’s Monastery is the second church after St. Sophia’s Cathedral, preserved from the times of Ancient Rus in its original form. It is a unique monument of architecture and monumental painting. The church was founded by the prince of Chernigov Vsevolod Olgovich in the first part of the 12th century and was the ancestral family vault of the Olgovichi. The church is named after St. Cyril, the patron of the prince. According to the origins the first burial place (of Vsevolod’s wife) dates back to 1179. In 1194 the prince of Kiev Svyatoslav Vsevolodovich was buried here. Frescoes of the 12th century, paintings of the 17th century and oil frescoes of the 19th century still exist in this church. During the restoration in the 17th-18th centuries the church acquired the features of Ukrainian Baroque. Nearly 800 square meters of Old Russian frescoes, which have no analogues in any of the monuments of the Orthodox Christianity, have been preserved till this time. A special place among the oil paintings made during the restoration in the 19th century takes the works of the famous Russian artist Mikhail Vrubel, whose Mother of God is compared with the Sistine Madonna. There are a lot of excursions in the church every day.
Lukyanovka cemetery was opened in 1872. Lukyanovka cemetery is one of the oldest necropoleis in Kiev. In the beginning there were buried the mad people from Kirillovskaya mental hospital. Later, Lukyanovka cemetery received the status of central cemetery, after which Kiev elite was buried here. Among them were academician N.D. Strazhesko, mathematician D.A. Grave, second president of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR N.P. Vasilenko and pilot P. Nesterov. The history of Lukyanovka military cemetery and destroyed Jewish cemetery, next to which was the necropolis of the Karaites, is connected with this necropolis. There is a functional Orthodox Church of St. Catherine and a museum room in the cemetery. More than two thousand graves and tombstones of the cemetery are included in the list of monuments of Kiev. Nowadays it is state historical and memorial reserve “Lukyanovka Cemetery”, where there are daily excursions.
Schekavitsa mountain is located between Tatarka and Podol. It offers a wonderful view to Podol, The River Dnieper and the left bank of Kiev. According to the “Tale of Bygone Years”, the mountain got its name from one of the founders of Kiev Shchek, who settled here. Also according to the origins it is believed that here is the grave of the Prince of Kiev Oleg. The history of the mountain of 18th-19th centuries is associated with burials. In 1772, a cemetery was founded on Shchekavitsa mountain. In the 1860s the Tatars begin to settle here. The first settlers were 60 Tatar families, the main occupation of which were soap making and trade. During the archaeological excavations on Shchekavitsa mountain, the remains of a stone structure of 12th-13th centuries were found. Presumably these are the ruins of the temple. Today, you can admire the beautiful view, make unforgettable photos and even meditate there. Some people say that the mountain can restore health and provide positive energy.
Ar-Rahma Mosque is the first and only mosque in Kiev, which means mercy. It is built next to the old Muslim cemetery, which is not operational nowadays. The construction was started in the mid-1990s on the money of the Muslim community. The solemn opening of Ar-Rahma Mosque was only in 2011. The architecture of the mosque and 27 meters high minaret attract with its beauty and unusualness. There are library, women’s room, training classes, playgrounds, Sunday school and hobby groups on the territory of the mosque. There is a relic in the mosque, that is a copy of the fabric scroll, where the names of all spiritual leaders of Sufism are written.
The national historical and memorial reserve “Babyi Yar” is a world-famous place for mass shootings of the population, mostly Jews, conducted by German troops during the occupation of Kiev. Firstly Babyi Yar was mentioned in 1401, when the landlady of local inn sold these lands to Dominican monastery. In the 15th-18th centuries there were such names as “Shalena Baba” and “Bisova Baba”. In 1870 some part of Babyi Yar became Lukyanovka cemetery, which is a protected area nowadays. In 1891-1894 a new Jewish cemetery was founded next to Babyi Yar. In 1937 it was closed, and during the Second World War it was destroyed. During the fascist occupation, Babiy Yar was used to carry out mass shootings. According to various sources, more than 100,000 people were shot there. Today it is a national historical and memorial reserve.
Lukyanovska prison was built in 1859-1863, it had three floors with a basement. The name of the prison was “Lukyanovsky Prison Castle”. The prison was designed for 550 people and was considered one of the best in Russia. In the early 20th century three-storey female building was built there. Not only gangsters but also political prisoners such as revolutionaries, victims of tsarist and Soviet repression, dissidents, were imprisoned in this prison. The most sensational case, which became known all over the world in 1913, was the case of Mendel Beilis as for allegedly committed ritual murder. After 2 years of investigation he was found not guilty. The famous film director Sergei Paradzhanov and the former Prime Minister of Ukraine Yulia Tymoshenko also were in this prison.
An unusual excursion around Kyiv is connected with Tatarka and Lukyanivka. On this route are the following objects:
Schekavitsa mountain, which offers a beautiful view of Kyiv, one of the few places in the capital with such a large viewing angle. According to the legend, on this mountain is buried the Kyiv prince Oleh, who was bitten by a snake. The name of the mountain is associated with the founder of Kyiv – Shchek, who settled here.
Lukyanivska prison (1863), formerly known as the Lukyanivsky Prison Castle, was considered one of the best in Russia. Even today, famous Ukrainian politicians such as Yulia Tymoshenko, Yuriy Lutsenko and others have visited these places of detention.
Lukyanivka cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries in Kyiv (1872). On the territory of the cemetery our guides can conduct an unusual excursion, where you will examine the ancient crypts and burial places of famous people – academician of medicine N.D. Strazhesko, mathematician D.A. Grave, the pilot P. Nesterov, and others.
Babyi Yar can be singled out as a separate excursion of Kyiv, as it is unusual for its theme and the capacity of collected material. In a vast area of several hectares you can find ancient crypts and tombs, a large number of monuments, sculptures and stands.
On the territory of Babyi Yar there is an ancient temple – the St. Cyril’s Monastery (the first half of the 12th century), preserved in its original form. Until now, preserved ancient Russian frescoes, which have no analogues in any of the temples of the Orthodox world. On the territory of the St. Cyril’s Monastery every day there are guided tours.
An unusual excursion around Kyiv will also introduce you to the only mosque in the city of Ar-Rahma, a cozy little park named after Heydar Aliyev, the biggest cinema in Ukraine “Kyivan Rus”.
Map of Tatarka-Lukyanivka