Evgeny Paton (1870-1953) – engineer and scientist in the field of welding and bridge construction, developed methods for calculating rational structural schemes of metal bridges. Since 1904 he lived in Kiev, he taught at the Kiev Polytechnic Institute (today – NTUU “KPI”). In 1934 he created the institute of electric welding, where he worked as a head for the rest of his life (today – the Paton Electric Welding Institute of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine). He was buried in the Baikovo cemetery. Paton investigated the strength of welded structures, developed technological foundations for arc welding. Under his leadership, a method of automatic high-speed welding was invented, which played a significant role in technical development.
He was the author and project manager of more than 100 welded bridges, among which the unique all-welded bridge across the Dnieper, known as the “Paton Bridge”, is unique. Also in Kiev, according to Evgeny Paton’s project, a pedestrian bridge was built across the alley in the Mariinsky park – the Bridge of Lovers. For outstanding services to an outstanding scientist, a monument was erected on the territory of NTUU “KPI”, where Paton once created the first branch of bridges in Ukraine. The memorial plaques were installed on the facade of the building of the Electric Welding Institute (69, Antonovich Str.), founded by Paton, and on Kotsyubinsky str., 9, where the scientist lived in 1938-1953.
Igor Sikorsky (1889-1972) – aircraft designer, the creator of the world’s first four-engine aircraft, transatlantic hydroplane, a serial helicopter single-screw scheme. He was born in Kiev and lived before emigration in a mansion on Yaroslaviv Val str., 15-b. He graduated the Kiev Polytechnic Institute (1907-1911) as a student, he designed and built several helicopters and biplanes. On the plane of its own design, the “S-5” passed the test for the title of pilot, and on the “S-6” set a world speed record (111 km/h). Leaving Kiev in 1912, he worked as an aircraft designer at the Russian-Baltic wagon plant, where he designed a series of new types of aircraft. Already in 1914 the Sikorsky aircraft set a world record for carrying capacity. In 1919 Igor Sikorsky emigrated to the United States, where he founded an aviation company. Later he became the owner of the construction and construction company “Sikorsky Aircraft”.
Sikorsky developed a series of aircraft that brought the US not only records, but also prestige. So serial “S-42” became the first in the world intercontinental passenger liners, providing flights through the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. Sikorsky was the first to build turbine helicopters and amphibious helicopters, and his firm became the leading manufacturer of helicopter equipment abroad. In general, the company “Sikorsky Aircraft” has created 17 base aircraft and 18 helicopters. In Kiev a well-known fellow countryman installed a monument on the territory of NTUU “KPI”. In the Museum of the Ukrainian Diaspora you can learn about the work of Sikorsky and see a short film with the voice of the aircraft designer behind the scenes.
Nikolai Amosov (1913-2002) – an outstanding surgeon and scientist in the field of cardiology, whose name is on the list of 100 great doctors of mankind. Since 1952 he lived and worked in Kiev. In 1955 on the basis of the 24th Kiev hospital Amosov opened the first specialized cardiac surgery clinic in Ukraine (today – Amosov National Institute of Cardiovascular Surgery, Amosov str., 6). In 1963 Nikolai Amosov performed the first in the USSR prosthetics of the mitral valve of the heart. For his work Amosov created a number of new methods of surgical treatment of heart defects, one of the first to introduce the method of artificial circulation. Amosov’s original views were recognized not only in Ukraine, but also abroad, and the institute that he opened today is considered the world leader in his field. He was buried in the Baikovo cemetery. On Bohdan Khmelnytsky str., 42 the memorial plaque was installed, where the scientist lived in 1971-2002.
Vikentiy Khvoyka (1850-1914) – an archaeologist of Czech descent, who discovered the first Trypillian settlements on the territory of modern Ukraine. Since 1876 he lived and worked in Kiev. Since the 1890’s began to engage in archeology, carrying out a series of excavations in Kiev and the Dnieper. Khvoyka discovered the monuments of Trypillian culture in the Kiev region, determining the time of its emergence (IV-III thousand BC). He studied monuments of the Bronze Age, settlements and mounds of the Scythians, conducted excavations in the Middle Dnieper, opening burial grounds related to the Zarubinets (II century BC-II century) and Chernyakhivska (II-V centuries) cultures, conducted research of Kievan Rus. So in Kiev they carried out excavations on the mountain Kisyolovka and Starokievo mountain, where Khvoyka discovered the habitation and workshops of artisans, products made of bone, iron, silver, glass.
Since 1904 he worked in the Kiev City Museum (today – the National Museum of History of Ukraine), becoming the first curator of the archaeological department. Khvoyka was a member of 11 scientific societies, including the Kiev Society of Antiquities and Arts. He was buried in the Baikovo cemetery. On Igorevska str., 9 a memorial plaque was installed, where Vikentiy Khvoyka lived and worked in 1898-1914. In the park of Trypillian culture (Frometovska Street, 2) there is a monument to the archaeologist. Today the collection of Vikentiy Khvoyka can be seen at the National Museum of Ukrainian History Vladimirskaya Street, 2).
Oleg Antonov (1906-1984) – a famous aircraft manufacturer, one of the leading aircraft designers in Ukraine. From 1952 he lived in Kiev and supervised a pilot-design bureau (today – SE “ANTONOV”, Tupolev street, 1). The main business of his life was the construction of aircraft. Under Antonov’s guidance, 22 types of transport and passenger aircraft were designed and built, including the AN-10 “Ukraine” aircraft, and dozens of aircraft (A-17 rocket, unmanned aerial vehicle, hang-gliders of the Slavutich series, etc.) were developed. Among the world-known aircraft – AN-22 “Antey” (the world’s largest turboprop aircraft) and AN-124 “Ruslan” (the most load-lifting aircraft in the world). Antonov’s name has always been in the history of aviation. He was buried in the Baikovo cemetery. On Ogaryova str., 1 a memorial plaque was installed, where aircraft designer lived in 1957-1984. On the territory of “ANTONOV” a monument to Antonov was erected. The museum of aviation (1, Medova Str.) presents the development of leading design bureaus, including Antonova. This is the largest historical and technical museum not only in Ukraine, but also in Eastern Europe.
Alexandr Shalimov (1918-2006) – an outstanding surgeon and scientist, the founder of the Institute of Experimental and Clinical Surgery (today – National Institute of Surgery and Transplantology named after Shalimov of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine). Since 1970 he lived and worked in Kiev. For the first time in Ukraine he organized the departments of microvascular, endovascular and experimental surgery, introduced new methods of surgery for diseases of the digestive system, heart, vessels and cancer. Shalimov was the first doctor, who began to operate on the pancreas, underwent successful transplantation of the pancreas to a diabetic patient. Under the leadership of Shalimov the first heart transplant operation in Ukraine was performed. For his services by the decision of the International Chamber of the American Biographical Institute Shalimov was recognized as the “Person of the Planet”. He was buried in the Baikovo cemetery. At the entrance to the National Institute of Surgery and Transplantology there is a monument to Shalimov, his founder and legendary surgeon.