Ivan Mazepa (1639-1709) – hetman of Ukraine (1687-1709), Patron and outstanding figure of the turn of the XVII-XVIII centuries. On the means of Mazepa a huge number of church buildings were built and restored – the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra, St. Sophia and Mikhailovsky Cathedrals, churches in Baturin, Glukhov, Bakhmach, Chernigov, Pereyaslav and other cities of Ukraine. Thanks to the financing of Mazepa the buildings of the Kiev-Mohyla Academy and the Chernigov collegium were built. Mazepa’s policy as a hetman led to the revival and development of all branches of art as well as in the field of philosophy, theology, social and natural sciences. In the Mazepa era hundreds of books of religious and secular content were published in Kiev, and the printing industry reached its peak.
In addition the activities of Mazepa reflected on the development of architecture, serving the emergence in Ukraine of a unique style of Ukrainian baroque. Hetman was also engaged in the welfare of Orthodox churches outside of Ukraine. So Mazepa was donated to the silver shroud, which is stored in the altar of the Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Resurrection under the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem. In addition to gifts, the hetman allocated funds to help Orthodox Christian churches abroad. Ivan Mazepa is the most famous Ukrainian and European figure in Europe and America. 186 engravings, 42 paintings, 6 sculptures, 22 musical and 17 literary works are devoted to him. In Kiev you can learn about the life and work of the great hetman in the Hetman’s Museum (Spasskaya str., 16-b).
Lazar Brodsky (1848-1904) – one of the most famous Kiev patrons of the XIX century, a major sugar producer and public figure. Thanks to its funding the buildings of the Jewish hospital were built in Kiev (now The regional hospital, Bahovutivska Str., 1), the Jewish school (today E. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Antonovich Str., 69), Bessarabsky market, Narodny Trinity house (today Theater of Operetta, Velyka Vasylkivska, 53/3), the Choral Synagogue – the largest synagogue in Kiev (Shota Rustaveli Str., 13). Brodsky also funded the establishment of a citywide importance – the Bacteriological Institute (today Institute of Epidemiology and Infectious Diseases, Protasiv Yar, 4). Lazar Brodsky was the initiator of the creation of the Kiev Polytechnic Institute. Thanks to him the issues of both the construction of the university and the provision of work in the first academic years were resolved. It is worth noting that patronage was a tradition in the Brodsky family.
So Lazar’s father, Israel Brodsky, was spending money on charity and construction. It was Israel Brodsky donated 150 thousand rubles for the purchase of land for the construction of a Jewish hospital. According to the family tradition, Leo Brodsky, brother of Lazar Brodsky, was also a patron and philanthropist. The total amount of his donations is more than 2 million rubles with the money of Leo Brodsky a merchant synagogue was built (today Kinopanorama, Shota Rustaveli str., 19), the former Jewish hospital buildings, the People’s Trinity House, a Jewish school, a children’s clinic (today the Academy of Arts of Ukraine, Bulvarno-Kudryavska Str., 20). The contribution of the Brodsky family to the development of Kiev is simply priceless, having great significance in our days.
Nikola Tereshchenko (1819-1903) – a major entrepreneur, was engaged in charitable activities and investing in the construction of public buildings in Kiev. Thanks to him the School for the Blind was opened, the Mariinsky Children’s Shelter, the 4th Gymnasium (today the Transport Academy), the 5th Gymnasium (Velyka Vasylkivska Str.), the College for the Deaf, the Colony for Young Criminals, the Women’s Gymnasium, Borisoglebsk church, house of diligence (Gogolivska Str.), Pokrovska church, the cathedral of St. Nicholas (Pokrovsky Monastery). He took part in financing the construction of the People’s Trinity House (today the Operetta Theater), the Vladimir Cathedral, and the Kiev Polytechnic Institute, transferring to the construction fund about 150 thousand rubles. Followers of good deeds of Nikola Tereshchenko were his children – Ivan, Alexander and Varvara. The eldest son Ivan was recognized as a patron of support for the teacher and founder of the Kiev Drawing School – artist N. Murashko. Younger son Alexander also devoted himself to charitable and social activities.
Among his merits – the trusteeship of the Kiev 1st Gymnasium, the establishment of scholarships, the annual funding of the gymnasium for 1 thousand rubles and the training of several poorest students. On his means was arranged a summer cottage for weak students of gymnasiums. In addition Alexander was a trustee of the free shelter at night N. Tereschenko and the clinic of the Kiev Charitable Society. Varvara, known under the name of her husband Khanenko, was a collector-philanthropist. The collection of foreign art collected by Varvara and her husband formed the basis of a private museum (today the National Museum of Arts named after Khanenko). In Kiev on the territory of the Scientific and Practical Center for Children’s Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery a monument to the patron of arts Nikola Tereshchenko is erected. Varvara Tereshchenko-Khanenko is buried in the cemetery of Vydubitsky Monastery, Alexander Tereshchenko – on Askold’s grave.
Ivan Fundukley (1799-1880) – Kiev governor and honorary citizen of Kiev, philanthropist. He was considered one of the best governors, did not take bribes and fought against local corruption, paying extra to officials from his means. Having received in 1839 the post of governor of Kiev Fundukley refuses to pay. And that the subordinates were clean on hand they annually pay out of their own pocket for 12 thousand rubles. Also the governor ordered the wealthy landowners to pay the police. In addition he created a fund to help flood victims, established a duty collection service, and improved the maintenance of prisoners in prisons. At the initiative of Ivan Fundukley a botanical garden was planted (today the Fomin Botanical Garden). At his expense Andrew’s descent was paved, the first chain bridge across the Dnieper was built, the first water pipe and a fountain of a new water supply system were opened. With the participation and funds of Fundunkley, the first fundamental research on the historical topography and statistics of Kiev was published. It was Fundunkley, who presented the estate to create the first female gymnasium in Kiev. After that not only the gymnasium, but also the street itself was called Fundukleyevska. Today in the building of the former women’s gymnasium is Naftogaz of Ukraine (Bohdan Khmelnytsky str., 6).
Vasily Simirenko (1835-1915) – Ukrainian industrialist, patron of Ukrainian culture. For nearly 40 years he listed 1/10 of his income for cultural and national activities. He was a member of the Kiev community and the founder of the fund “Promoting the development of Ukrainian culture and science”. Despite the infringement of the Ukrainian language, for many years contributed to the release of Ukrainian-language newspapers and magazines, and helped to publish them abroad to familiarize Europeans with Ukraine. He financially supported some Ukrainian figures, in particular, M.Dragomanov and M.Kotsyubinsky. In addition several editions of Shevchenko’s Kobzar were published on his means. Not having their own children all property bequeathed to national needs.
So on Khreshchatyk there was a printing house for the release of a new Ukrainian newspaper, part of the money was transferred to the People’s University of Simirenko with the Ukrainian language, and the mansion of the patron passed to the Ukrainian Scientific Society. Vasily Simirenko was buried at Askold’s grave in Kiev. On the building on the Desyatynna str., 9 there is a memorial plaque, where an outstanding Ukrainian figure and philanthropist lived in 1899-1915. Ukrainian publications published by V. Simirenko, today occupy an honorable place in the exposition of the Museum of Book and Printing in Ukraine (Lavrska Str., 9).
Semen Mogilevcev (1842-1917) – timber merchant, public figure and philanthropist. Since the early 1880’s lived in Kiev in a luxurious mansion on the Shovkovychna street (today “Chocolate House”). During his lifetime a patron has been done for the city. So Mogilevcev participated in the creation and development of the Kiev Polytechnic Institute as well as the women’s trading school. Under his leadership the houses were reorganized, which became the basis of the Pedagogical University Dragomanova. Semen Mogilevcev carried out a number of measures in terms of health. A hospital for 40 people was built on his funds, an X-ray room was installed in a children’s hospital and a room was purchased for an ambulance station (Volodymyrska Str., 33). On the funds of Mogilevcev the Pedagogical Museum was opened (today Teacher’s House, Volodymyrska Str., 57). The brightest and most memorable event for the people of Kiev was the electric illumination on the cross of St. Vladimir, installed on the means of the patron of art.
Mikhail Degtyarev (1831-1899) – Honorary citizen of Kiev and philanthropist. Thanks to Degtyarev Kiev has the current building of the National Philharmonic (formerly the House of Merchant Assembly), built with the funds of the patron. In the late 1860’s became one of the most influential and wealthy of Kiev, but at the same time lived modestly and was known as a stingy and tight-fisted man. Only after his death, the citizens could appreciate the good deeds of Mikhail Degtyarev. The first important thing was the opening of an almshouse for 40 people. To do this he bought a farmstead on Pokrovska Str., 5 and made a bank deposit of 100 thousand rubles to keep the almshouse at a percentage of the deposit. Degtyarev opened the so-called “widow’s house” with 45 separate apartments (Pokrovska Str., 1), where poor widows and children lived. The charity existed until Soviet times. At his expense, the church was built on the territory of the Alexander Hospital.
Also Mikhail Degtyarev donated funds to a hospital for unskilled workers, scholarships for students of the Kiev Polytechnic Institute and students of the Commercial School. Not having children all his property bequeathed to the city. The main point in the testament of Degtyarev was the erection after his death of a complex of charitable institutions. The complex of facilities for the poorhouse was built on the Staro-Zhytomyr road (today Dehtyarivska str., 19). He was buried in the St. Michael’s Church on the territory of the Alexander Hospital (Shovkovychna Str., 39/1). After the restoration of the church the grave is in the crypt. In Kiev Dehtyarivska street was named by honor of the famous patron.
Bogdan Khanenko (1849-1917) – an industrialist, collector, patron of art. In Kiev Khanenko was a famous figure. He led the initiative group of Ukrainian intellectuals to create an art-industrial and scientific museum (today the National Art Museum, Grushevskogo Str., 6). By his own forces and for his money, Khanenko conducted excavations in the Kiev province to replenish the museum with exhibits. After the opening of the museum, personal exhibits, transferred by Khanenko’s spouses to the museum, were estimated at 134 thousand rubles. Before his death Bogdan Khanenko bequeathed his collection to Kiev and all his capital to the Kiev Museum. His wife, Varvara Khanenko-Tereshchenko, the rest of the family collection donated to the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. Today the collection of foreign art objects is the basis of the National Museum of Arts (Tereshchenkivska str., 15). Khanenko’s were buried in Vydubitsky monastery.