Vincent Beretti (1781-1842) – an architect of Italian origin. The first acquaintance of Beretti with Kiev falls on 1835, when a talented architect, having won a competition for the best project of the University of Kiev, came to the city for preparatory work. From 1837 until his death, Beretti lived and worked in Kiev, taught at the University of Kiev. During his time in Kyiv, the Institute of Noble Maidens (now the International Center for Culture and Arts) was built by architect, Vladimirskaya and Bibikovsky Blvd. (today – Shevchenko Blvd.), as well as the University Botanical Garden. He was buried in the Baikovo cemetery. On the facade of the main building of the National University an outstanding architect is installed a memorial plaque. The eldest son Alexander Beretti (1816-1895) continued his father’s business in the development of Kiev.
In the 1840-1850’s Alexander Beretti performed his best works – board Levashovoy (today – NAS of Ukraine, Volodymyrska str., 54), Anatomical theater (today – museum of medicine, B. Khmelnitsky str., 37), real school (today – Diplomatic Academy of Ukraine, Velyka Zhytomyrska str., 2). Preserved and the mansion of Alexander Beretti on the street. Vladimirskaya, 35. Today, the press service of the SBU is located here. He was buried at the Baikovo cemetery next to his father. The contribution of Vincent and Alexander Beretti to the development of Kiev is invaluable and plays a big role in the history of Russian architecture.
Andrew Krauss (1859-1911) – a famous Kiev architect, whose works belong to the period of the turn of the XIX-XX centuries. The first structures of Krauss in Kiev date from the beginning of the 1880s. Among the famous buildings erected by Krauss are the former Palais Royal Hotel (Basseinaya Street, 1/2), as well as the Orion hotels (Bolshaya Vasilkovskaya Street No. 1-3) and the Hermitage (Bogdana Khmelnitskogo Street, 26). In addition, Kraussom built profitable houses and mansions on the Saksaganskoho str. (№ 5, 10, 15, 28, 38, 81, etc.), the Velyka Vasylkivska str. (№ 10, 17, 32, 38, 44, 56, etc.), Shota Rustaveli str. (№22, 30, 32, 38, etc.), Bohdan Khmelnytsky str. (№27, 44) and a number of other central streets. For today in Kiev, about a hundred works of the architect. About the personal life of Andrew Krauss practically nothing is known.
Vladimir Nikolayev (1847-1911) – an outstanding architect and one of the most prolific architects in Kiev. Since 1873 he lived and worked in Kiev. Until 1887 was the chief architect of the city. For his work, Nikolaev erected 18 churches, 27 buildings and hundreds of private houses. The most famous are the former Merchant Assembly (today the National Philharmonic), the Tereshchenko mansion (today the Kiev Picture Gallery), the Lieberman mansion (today the Writers’ Union), the Galperin mansion (today the Verkhovna Rada Committee). The most valuable heritage of Vladimir Nikolayev are the temples built by him: the Refectory Church of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra, the Ascension Church, the Intercession Monastery. It is worth noting that the author of the monument to Bohdan Khmelnytsky was also Nikolaev. At what works on erection of a monument spent absolutely free of charge. Today the monument to the great hetman is one of the symbols of Kiev. Vladimir Nikolayev was buried at Askold’s grave (the tombstone was not preserved).
Wladyslaw Horodecki (1863-1930) – an outstanding architect of Polish descent. For a long time he worked in Kiev, leaving the city with masterpieces of architectural art. Among the known buildings that have survived to this day are the building of the National Art Museum (6 Grushevskogo Street), the Karaite kenassa (Yaroslaviv Val str., 7), the Franko Theater (Franco Square, 3), the St. Nicholas Church (Velyka Vasylkivska str., 77). But the most striking construction is the mansion of the architect himself, known as the House with Chimeras (10, Bankova Street). House with chimeras, shrouded in legends, is considered the best creation of Horodetsky. This was the first building in Kiev, built from expensive cement at that time. As the owner of the cement plant, Horodetsky implemented most of his projects from concrete. Wladyslaw Horodecki lived in Kiev from 1890 to 1920. In memory of the outstanding architect in the Passage of Kiev a monument to Gorodetsky was erected.
Pavel Alyoshin (1881-1961) – a famous Ukrainian architect of the XX century, the author of more than ten architectural masterpieces erected in the capital. He spent his whole life in Kiev, devoting himself to the architectural work. In the years 1918-1920. was the chief architect of Kiev and took part in the reconstruction of the city. In the years 1923-1930. he taught at the Kiev Architectural Institute, after – at the Kiev Art Institute. He was buried at the Lukyanovka cemetery. On the Velyka Zhytomyrska Street, 17, where the architect lived in the 1930-1961, installed a plaque. The works of Alyoshin that have survived to the present day are today monuments of history. Among them the building of the Pedagogical Museum (57, Volodymyrska Street), the former Olginskaya Gymnasium (Bohdan Khmelnytskiy Street, 15), the mansion on Orlika Street, 1/15, the building of the Model School No. 71 (Poliova str., 10) and others.
Pavel Shleyfer (1814-1879) – Kiev architect of German origin. Originally engaged in painting, teaching painting at the Kiev Institute of Noble Maidens. Since 1852 – the architect of the Kiev academic district. As a member of the Lutheran community on a voluntary basis, he was engaged in the construction of the church and developed a project for its interior (today – Lutheran Church of St. Catherine, Lutheranska Street, 22). The first building, built by Shleyfer on its own project, was the building of the 2nd male gymnasium (Shevchenko Blvd., 18). In addition, he was engaged in the erection of individual houses. So on the Petlyura street, 14 to this day is preserved the mansion of the work of Shleyfer. He was buried in the Baikovo cemetery.
The son of Pavel Shleyfer is also a well-known architector Georgy Shleyfer (1855-1913), for his projects. He left Kiev with masterpieces of architectural art: the Choral Synagogue of Brodsky (Shota Rustaveli Street, 13), the former commercial college (Bulvarno-Kudryavska Street, 24) Bunge (Lipska Street, 18/5), as well as its profitable house (Instytutska Street, 13/2). Georgy Shleyfer was one of the authors of the construction of the quarter, known as the “Kiev Paris” (Gorodetska Street, Olginska Street). Today this place is considered one of the most beautiful corners of Kiev. He was buried at Askold’s grave (the tombstone was not preserved). The surviving works of the outstanding Schleifer architects are not only monuments of architecture, but also give Kiev a special charm.
Vladimir Zabolotny (1898-1962) – Ukrainian architect, initiator of the creation and head of the Academy of Architecture in Kiev. After graduating from the Kiev Art Institute in 1928, he was actively engaged in design and construction. Among the works of Zabolotny, special attention should be paid to the building of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (Grushevskoho Street, 5), for which he was awarded the Stalin Prize and was appointed the chief architect of Kiev. Zabolotny took part in the postwar construction of the main street in Kiev. He owns the idea of finishing the facades of buildings with facing ceramics. So along Khreshchatyk you can see bizarre “house-cakes”, which bring a special flavor to the center. The last years of his life Zabolotny devoted to the study of the architectural heritage of Ukraine and the creation of a series of volumes “The History of Ukrainian Art”. For his contribution to the field of science and technology was awarded a state prize (posthumously). He was buried in the Baikovo cemetery. On the Volodymyrska str., 22, where the architect lived in 1945-1962, installed a commemorative plaque.
Joseph Karakis (1902-1988) – Ukrainian architect and town planner, one of the most prolific architects of the XX century and an active fighter for the preservation of historical monuments. A world-class architect, known as a master of the short era of Ukrainian constructivism. Innovative ideas of Karakis in the construction of buildings in the 1930-s are still relevant, and his plans are much ahead of their time. Joseph Karakis lived in Kiev from 1922 until the end of his life, having received his education here and devoting himself to architectural art. The first independent projects of Karakis are the current House of Officers in Neoampir style ( Grushevskoho Street, 30/1) and the former restaurant “Dinamo” (Petrovskaya Alley), which today are monuments of architecture. Also among the merits of Karakis residential quarters on the Mazepa Street (№3,5), Instytutska Street (№ 15-17, 19-21), an apartment building on the Universytetska Street (№ 16-20).
Karakis was the first artistic school in Ukraine to be designed (today – the National Museum of History of Ukraine, Volodymyrska Str., 2) and the first kindergarten № 1 in Kiev “Orlyonok” (Askoldov Lane, 5). Today these objects are monuments of architecture. The legacy of Karakis also includes up to 40 standard projects of general education schools of different capacities, for which about 4000 schools were subsequently built, both in Ukraine and in other republics. Joseph Karakis left a bright mark in the architecture not only of Kiev, but of the whole country. From 1944 to 1988 he lived on the Rylsky Lane, 5. The outstanding architect on the Baikovo cemetery was buried.