OTHER INTERESTING PLACES ON PECHERSK
Parks with view on the r.Dnipro
Grishko Botanical Garden has been founded since 1935 on the initiative of V.I. Lipsky, a famous florist and scientist. A plot of 117 hectares land was allocated on Zverinets. The difficulties of building a garden were insufficient funding, and two-thirds of the territory was private property. About 1050 species of plants and 1000 taxons of greenhouse crops were managed to collect under the open sky by the beginning of the 1940s. The Botanical Garden has been opened for visitors since 1964. Not only scientists-botanists and breeders come here, but also Kyivans, as well as visitors to the city. The botany lessons are taught here for students. M. Grishko Botanical Garden (world famous scientist-botanist) is a part of the natural reserve fund of Ukraine, it is a monument of natural and historical and cultural significance that is one of the leading gardens in Europe. The Botanical Card is a type of lilac with an area of 2.45 hectares, thousands of visitors come to admire it every spring.
Vydubytsky Monastery is located in the Vydubytsky tract, on a hill above the Dnieper. According to the legend, the pagan idol of Perun, thrown into the Dnieper by Prince Vladimir, was “poured out” on the shore. The origin of the name came after underground monastery, which later “poured out” on the surface. Vydubytsky Monastery was founded in the XIth century by Vsevolod Yaroslavich, the Son of Yaroslav the Wise, the Prince. The main temple of the monastery was laid in 1070, which was partially preserved to the present day. In 1696 -1701 years. St. George’s Cathedral was built in the monastery, where the relics of St. George, Barbara the Great Martyr, John, etc. are represented. Today there is a shelter for elderly clergy, a school for children from low-income families, workshops, a school of church singing and a clinic in the monastery. Previously, there was a cemetery on the territory of the monastery. 13 graves have been preserved until now. There is a well on the territory there, in which one can get healing water.
The Plant “Arsenal” is a historical and architectural monument, it is located on the former territory of the Old Pechersk fortress on Lavrskaya Str., 12–14. Initially, there was the Ascension Convent on this place. The monastery was closed in 1712, and buildings began to be used as an artillery zeyhgauz on its territory. In 1784, a cannon yard was opened here, where the guns, artillery equipment and so on were repaired and manufactured. The erection of the Arsenal building was begun in 1784. Arsenal was to become one of the largest in Russia. The walls of the Arsenal are up to 2 m thick. The arms were repaired and manufactured, including artillery at the plant in the XVIII–XIX centuries. Arsenal was also used as an armory. The plant has existed by 2009 and it was closed because of bankruptcy. The museum complex “Mystetsky Arsenal” operates in the historical building of the Arsenal now. The museum was founded in 2006 on the initiative of V. Yushchenko.
Askold’s grave is located on the Park road. According to the legend, in 882 Oleg, the Novgorod Prince, lured Askold and Dir, the princes of Kiev, to this place, and killed, because they did not belong to the Rurikovich family. Oleg also ascended the throne of Kiev. Askold was called to the throne by the Kievans, but according to other annals, Dir and Askold took power arbitrarily. According to the legend, Askold is buried at the scene of the murder. In the Xth century Olga, the Princess, built the wooden church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker in the honour of Askold. But in 971 Svyatoslav, the son of Olga, destroyed the church. In 990, Vladimir, the Prince, built the church, and in 1036 a female monastery was founded here. The grave of Askold is located in the basement under the church, where there is an ancient stone sarcophagus.
The Kiev-Pechersk Lavra was founded in 1051 by St. Anthony, the Monk, settling in the caves of the future Pechersk Monastery. It is from the caves that the monastery takes its name. At the request of St. Antony, Izyaslav, the Prince gave the monastery the territory, which includes the whole mountain above the caves. In 1062 the monastery was called Pechersk. the territory of the monastery has begun to be built since the end of the XIth century. It was in the walls of the Caves Monastery in 1113 that Nestor the Chronicler wrote “The Tale of Bygone Years” – the main source of modern knowledge about Kievan Rus. The monastery received the status of the monastery in 1688. The Lavra is an honorary title, which was given only to large and significant monasteries. The Kiev-Pechersk Monastery becomes a spiritual and cultural-enlightenment centre. The territory of the monastery includes Near and Far Caves. Today there are museums, unique shrines on the territory of Lavra, as well as there the relics of saints in the caves.
The Monument to Motherland was opened in 1981 on the Victory Day and it is included in ten highest statues in the world, whose height is 102 m. The construction from stainless steel is all-welded weighing 450 t. The statue symbolizes the feminine principle, the strength of the spirit of the Ukrainian people and it was established on the slopes of the Dnieper so that it can be seen even in remote areas of Kiev. There are two elevators and observation platforms, with an impressive view of the city in the monument. One site is located at the feet of the statue at a height of 36 m (the height of a 12-storey building), the other – at a height of 91 m (from the back of the shield above the fingers of the left hand of the sculpture). Today it is the largest sculpture in Ukraine, and it is included in the “Guinness World Records Book of Ukraine”. The Museum of Ukraine in World War II is locted at the foot of the monument.
The Park of Eternal Glory was founded as a garden in 1894 on the initiative of Anosov, the commandant of the Kiev fortress Lieutenant-General of Artillery and it was called Anosovsky (Commandant’s) garden. In 1919, it was ordered to make a cemetery of “victims of counter-revolution” on the spot of the garden. In 1956, it was decided to recreate the park in this place. The Eternal Glory Memorial was built at a height of 27 m, the Alley of Heroes was laid, where 35 soldiers were buried. The Eternal Flame burns at the foot of the obelisk. Every year on May 9 thousands of people come here to honor the memory of the heroes of the war. There is a museum of the Holodomor, a monument on the grave of the Unknown Soldier in the park. A magnificent view of the Dnieper and the left bank of the capital are also represented here, because newlyweds like to come here to make a wedding photo session
Hospital fortification is a part of the architectural complex “Kiev Fortress”, it is a semi-underground construction. There are embrasures and loopholes, as well as guns that are represented on the perimeter of the caponier. The fortification was erected in 1844. It includes the defensive structure “Oblique caponier”, located at an angle to the earthen rampart of the fortress. There is also the northern half-tower, the northern gate with a caponier, a military hospital with a tower, a caponier of 1-3 polygons in the hospital fortification. They all preserved to this day. It is considered to be one of the world’s largest preserved stone-earth fortresses and the second largest in the world.
An excursion to the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra can be combined with a visit to other objects along Pechersk. The first mention in the annals is associated with the arrival of monk Antony on these lands in 1051 and settled in one of the caves of the future monastery. Later, the Lavra appears.
Askold’s grave has an even more ancient history. When the Varangian prince Rurik was invited to reign on the Russian lands in the 9th century, his two brothers set out on boats with their army in the direction of Constantinople. On the way, they saw the wonderful lands of Ancient Kyiv and decided to reign here. After the death of Rurik, his young son Igor with his guardian Oleg and his army went to Kyiv. Cunningly luring the brothers to the banks of the Dnipro, Oleg killed them. A crypt was built on this place.
An excursion to the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra can be combined with a visit to the Vydubytsky Monastery. It also has an ancient history. It was founded in the XI century by the son of Yaroslav the Wise Prince Vsevolod. To the present days, the main temple of the monastery (1070 year) has been partially preserved. Also, the name of this place is associated with the drowning of the idol of Perun by Volodymyr the Great, who “dumped” on the shore in this place.
Numerous remains of fortifications of the Kyiv fortress are scattered all over the territory of Pechersk. It is considered to be the second largest in the world stone-earth fortress structure and the first preserved to this day. In the best form, the hospital fortification “Oblique Caponier” has been preserved. On its territory there are two museums,. Earth shafts have been restored to the life size. It is better not to mix excursions to the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra and fortresses in order to be able to inspect properly everything.
The Plant “Arsenal” is directly related to the Pechersk fortress, where guns and other implements were manufactured and repaired. Now the museum complex “Mystetsky Arsenal” operates on this territory, where exhibitions and festivals are often held. If you want, our guide will study the program and make you a company.
Nature lovers will be interested to visit the botanical garden and admire the expanses of the left bank of Kyiv in the park of Eternal Glory.
On the Motherland territory there are several museums dedicated to different wars, and at the top of the stele there are several viewing platforms.
Excursion to the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra can be made individually, in order to fully take into account your interests and keep in the necessary time. According to your tastes we will pick you a congenial guide!
Map of Pechersk