OTHER INTERESTING PLACES ON LYPKY
The Arch of Friendship of Peoples or, as the Kyivites call it “Rainbow”, was opened in 1982 and is timed to celebrate the 1500th anniversary of Kyiv. The arch is made in the form of a rainbow, uniting parts of the composition together. In addition, the place where the Arch of Friendship of Peoples is located attracts tourists and locals not only as a historical landmark, but also as a viewing platform with a view of the Dnipro and the left bank of the capital. And in the evenings it glows with bright lights.
The Franko Theater was founded in 1898 on the Mykolaivska Square (now Franko Square), which appeared at the place of a covered pond, which was located in the estate of the Kyiv professor Mehring. Professor Mehring was the richest doctor in the empire and had a million fortune. Having been arrived from the Saxony at the age of 20, he became a doctor, being able to make money on the purchase of a huge amount of land in Kyiv. He was nicknamed “the owner of Bankova,” since he owned the estate there, which was later rebuilt into the Bankova Street. An interesting fact is the existence of an underground spring, which once filled up the lake with water, and now is located behind the scenes of the theatre under the stage. In 1926 the building of the theatre became a permanent stage for the theatre troupe named after Franko. The tangible contribution to the uniqueness of the creative style was made by Gnat Yura, who was the head of the theatre in the period of 1920-1966. From 2002 to 2012 the theatre was headed by People’s Artist of Ukraine Bogdan Stupka. Today in the theatre play such well-known actors as B. Benyuk, A. Khostykoyev, N. Sumska, O. Stupka..
Puppet theatre is a fairy-tale castle in Khreshchaty Park. The building of the theatre was built in 2005 on the site of a children’s stereo cinema “Dnipro”. In addition to the beautiful appearance, the theatre has a “Throne Room”, an aquarium with sea fish and an museum exhibition of puppets. Near the entrance to the theatre there is a light and musical fountain with a fairy-tale character Thumbelina.
Mariinsky Park was earlier called “Tsarsky”, where parades were held. The founder of the park is considered to be the Empress Maria Alexandrivna, wife of Alexander II. Arriving after the coronation to Kyiv and following the European and Petersburg’s fashion of laying out parks. Empress Maria ordered at the place of the palace square and the military parade-ground to lay out the park in English style. Also, the name of the park is associated with the name of another tsar’s lady, Maria Fedorivna, the wife of Emperor Alexander III, who lived in Kyiv for 2 years, organizing hospitals and sanatoria for the wounded during World War I. Here Maria Fedorivna learned about the abdication of the emperor and was sent into exile. So far, the opinions of historians differ about the person who named the park and the palace of the same name. Next to the palace is located a specific platform from which you can admire the Dnipro River and the left bank of the capital.
The Mariinsky Palace is one of the most famous palaces of the capital, which was built in the Baroque style. The construction of the palace falls on 1744-1752. The palace project was designed by the famous architect Bartolomeo Rastrelli, and the architect Ivan Michurin. Earlier it was called as Tsar’s Palace. Empress Elizabeth Petrivna, on whose order the palace was erected, never had time to visit it. The first tsarist person, who received in 1787 an ambassador from Venezuela, Francisco Miranda in it, was Catherine II. A special feature of the palace is a beautiful parquet floor made of valuable tree species. During the World War I, Empress Maria Fedorivna supervised the accommodation of wounded soldiers, placing them in the palace. Here in the palace she learned about the abdication of her son Nicholas II. Today the palace is the ceremonial residence of the President of Ukraine. The Mariinsky Palace is closed for tourists.
Dynamo Stadium – in the 1920s, at the place of the stadium were located greenhouses for tsarist nobles. At first, there were sports grounds near by, and in 1934 from the stands of the stadium you could watch the first football matches. It is worth noting the event in 1942 – this year’s match between the “Dynamo Kyiv” and a team of German invaders, went down in history as a “Death Match”. According to the legend, four players of “Dynamo” were shot for the refusal to lose to the Germans. On the territory of the stadium there is a monument to the dead football players. Since 2002, the stadium has received a new name in honour of the player and coach of the world scale and began to be named after V.Lobanovsky. Today you can get to the territory of the stadium with an excursion and see with your own eyes the exhibition of won trophies, the famous stadium and its stands.
The House with Chimaeras – shrouded in legends and myths, was built in the period of 1902-1903 by the famous architect Gorodetsky and it is his best creation. This was the first house in Kyiv, which was built from expensive cement at that time. For erecting a house with chimaeras, Gorodetsky bought a site-a cliff on the bank of a drained bog, forbidden to construction by the authorities. That’s why from the side of Bankova mansion has 3 floors, and from the other side – 6. The facade of the building is decorated with figures of unusual creatures: dolphins and sea reptiles, crocodiles and lizards, huge frogs and heads of rhinoceroses, and other animals. Initially, the house was built, as profitable. One floor was occupied by Gorodetsky himself. And near the house there was an alpine hill with a fountain and a small garden. The interior decoration of the mansion is also rich in mouldings, paintings, which depicts the underwater world. Between the 4th and 5th floors on the stairs installed an electric lamp in the form of a giant catfish. In 1912 Gorodetsky laid his mansion and could not return it.
The National Bank of Ukraine is a building at the Instytutska, 9, which was made in the Venetian style, one of the most beautiful buildings of the city and preserved to this day. At the place of the National Bank was previously the Office of the State Commercial Bank, built in 1839. The current building of the NBU was erected in the period of 1902-1905. The lining of the house is made by the famous Italian sculptor Elio Sal. He also performed artworks inside the bank. The uniqueness of the construction of the NBU building lie in equipping with modern technologies at that time: central steam heating, electric lighting, a double ventilation system with a capacity of 18 horsepower. In the period of1933-1934 the building was constructed 2 more floors. During the Soviet era, the bank housed by the Ukrainian Republican Office of the State Bank of the USSR and the City Office of the State Bank of the USSR. So far, the emblems of the Kyiv, Podil and Volyn provinces have been preserved, the Archangel Michael with a raised sword is depicted on the Kyiv coat of arms. The facade of the building of the National Bank of Ukraine is made in the style of the early Florentine Renaissance and the North-Italian Gothic.
On this excursion Kyiv will appear before you in its aristocratic form. Lypky always attracted wealthy people due to its location and initially originated here the suburban Klovsky Palace for the Empress Elizaveta Petrovna. Having equipped this area with lime groves, silk garden and vineyards, the Russian emperors created all favorable conditions for comfortable living of the Kyiv nobility.
Later, administrative buildings, financial institutions, educational and cultural centres appear on the streets of Lypky. The most famous of them are the National Bank of Ukraine, the House with Chimaeras, Franko Theatre. One of the main attractions of the area can be called the Mariinsky Palace with the adjacent park of the same name. And of course it is worth noting the Arch of Friendship of Peoples.
On excursion of Lypky you will see amazing buildings, walk through the park areas, plunge into the history of the origin and development of this part of Kyiv and admire the expanses of the city from viewing platforms.
Football fans will be interested to see the “Dynamo” stadium, which originated in the place of greenhouses of the royal nobility. You will find out who Lobanovsky was and in what way this stadium became famous during the World War II.
On this excursion Kyiv will be interesting for the children’s audience. It will be possible to see the Puppet Theatre, located in Khreshchaty Park. The theatre is decorated with sculptures of fairy-tale characters, and inside the theatre there is a museum of dolls, an aquarium with sea fish. In summer, the light-musical fountain works at the theatre. If you wish, our guide can make you a company for any performance.
Map of Lypky